GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Door Opening

Go down 
+4
BigBlackBeaSSt
jasonlachapelle
jayoldschool
Skier
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Skier

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Folks,

How far can the front door open. Mine do not open nearly as much as the back doors. My handi-capped 6' 4" father-in-law cannot get into the front passenger seat because of this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

'95 RMW Mid Adriatic Blue Woodgrain delete.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Chris, the later cars (like yours) have a pin in the front door upper hinges that limit opening. You can easily remove the pin with a little lube, a hammer, and a pair of vise grips. This will allow the door to open one more stop like the earlier cars.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm just going to go do that mod right now. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by jasonlachapelle on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:48 pm

I did this to my drivers side years ago. Great, EASY, mod. Never did the passenger side.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 10:18 pm

A shot of spray, then a smack on the pin from the bottom will get it moving. Then, grab the top of the pin under the flange with the grips. Hammer up on the grips and the pin will work out. Much more space!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Just did this mod. I would have done it years ago had I known! All those times I was laying on my back digging under the dash fighting the front door limited opening and all the shoulder smacks by the corner of the front door. So glad I did this.

I removed the top pins first but they only seem to give about an inch more opening. The real difference is when the lower pins are removed too. Nice wide opening; matches rear door angle too.

Back to top Go down
Skier

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Folks,

I did this in October before driving to Ann Arbor for UM vs Illini football game. I did this so I could get my 6' 4" father in law in. I also made brackets that set the seat back 2" and 2" higher. A lot of work. He got on OK but still complained about leg room. Didn't think he could sit for a 5 hour ride. We always stop every 2 hours with him. So, he sat in his chair for 2+ days with two coolers full of food and drink while my wife and I went to Michigan. I don't know what he will do next summer if we use the wagon to pull T Trailer on vacation for a week there aren't enough coolers and space in the living room.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 pm

I looked at this and saw the truth about those pins. Is there a downside to pulling the pins? Why did GM put in these pins? It makes no sense for them to waste money on door stop pins?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm

sdowney717 wrote:
I looked at this and saw the truth about those pins. Is there a downside to pulling the pins? Why did GM put in these pins? It makes no sense for them to waste money on door stop pins?

I agree, what was the purpose of these? I've never been happy with how little my doors opened. I wonder if GM was scared that given enough room to really slam the doors, the crappy 94-96 door panel plastics would shatter before the warranty expired? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Someone postulated that it was because elderly owners could not reach the door when it was at the furthermost position.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Someone postulated that it was because elderly owners could not reach the door when it was at the furthermost position.

Amazing. I know a project on my 2-do list!
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 6:42 am

using a 1/2" steel rod you can open the door and punch the top pin down. The grab with pliers and hit it out all the way, or use a narrow punch driving down from the top.
Mine was well stuck.

The bottom pin is still stuck tight.
I think place a crowbar on the top of the bottom pin so it forms a 90* angle to the pin and hit the crowbar with hammer will make it move.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Door Opening Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Door Opening   Front Door Opening Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Door Opening
Page 1 of 1