GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Caprice belt line trim

Go down 
+6
Cadet57
sherlock9c1
DBeaSSt
Bewber
jayoldschool
95BRMW
10 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Caprice belt line trim Empty
PostSubject: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 9:59 am

I am sure I am not alone with this, but my trim all around my 95 Caprice is a peeling mess. The chome is almost completly gone, the plastic coating is peeling all around, and it looks like its rusting behind whats left of the plastic. I am pretty sure its not rust, I thought these were all plastic? Anyways, is there any way to revive this stuff? I am thinking of either ripping it all off completly, or painting it. In the condition its in now, it really makes this wagon looks like a junker. You can see in the pic below what I mean, kind of. Especially on the rear door. I'll try to get some close up pics later.
Caprice belt line trim DSC07309
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:05 am

Why not delete the trim completely? A good look with the N92 wheels.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 am

I'm interested in learning what others have done for this too, since my car is a woody and removal isn't an option towards making things look better.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:49 am

Just thinking out loud here. But what about removing the "chrome" part from the trim and replacing it with some aftermarket 'chrome' trim?

Not even sure it's possible to remove it but a thought. I did replacement 'chrome' on the upper part of my RMW's front bumper. Found the stuff (thanks Chris!!) at AutoZone I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 2:22 pm

My tan 9C1 has been doing the same thing since I bought it in 2003. I am not interested in deleting it since it's saved my doors from a whole lotta damage over time (I daily drive the car in the summer).
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Bewber wrote:
I'm interested in learning what others have done for this too, since my car is a woody and removal isn't an option towards making things look better.

"Technically", it is removable. I'm thinking about doing it now and either leaving it as a wood delete or replacing it with something that looks like the Kingswood trim from the 70's.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Technically, ROOFS have been proven to be removable, but I still aint gonna do it, this week. Cool
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Bewber wrote:
Technically, ROOFS have been proven to be removable, but I still aint gonna do it, this week. Cool

Same reason why I won't be removing my wood trim... yet Wink
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 6:23 pm

You can very carefully score the bottom of the chrome area with an X-acto knife and pull off the chrome. Pull it at about a 45 degree angle upwards and it should just roll over the top and come off. Sorta hard to explain but the chrome only wraps over the top of the trim for about 1/16 of an inch, so you don't need to score the top. Just carefully score the bottom of the chrome. After that, just clean it up with some whitewall cleaner or something. At least on my MAB car I got a smooth light gray appearance behind the chrome. I did this about two years ago and it still looks okay. Way better than peeling chrome. If you are rilly, rilly careful you can actually sand away the gray and end up with the color of the trim below. I know this because I nicked a couple places with the knife and it was blue under there.

The gray stuff behind the chrome is smooth and would serve as a base for paint or for decals. I plan to try to put some chrome striping on there as Mike mentioned.

Warning, the following pictures are graphic. They depict a neglected and dirty wagon with chrome beltline delete.

Caprice belt line trim Mabtrim1

Caprice belt line trim Mabtrim2
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Door are also removable, but I didn't get rid of mine yet! Laughing I like the above idea to remove the chrome, but what do I do about the lower part? This is peeling way worse than the chrome is.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 10:27 am

I stand corrected, it is just the chrome peeling on my car. I am going to do what Wagon Collector did, that looks good to me. But I still have this other ugliness as you will see in the following pictures. It looks like spotty rust, but how is that even possible? Its the whole way around the wagon, except on the front bumper's trim.
Caprice belt line trim DSC07342
Caprice belt line trim DSC07341
Caprice belt line trim DSC07340
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 am

Well, I've never seen that before!

Grab some 800 or 1000 grit wet sandpaper and see if you can clean that stuff off. I'm afraid that may be a porosity issue in the material, and it may have soaked up dirt like a sponge. Again, I've never seen that, so I don't know. If the sandpaper trick works you can then polish it back up by hand with some 3M Super Duty compound or equivelant.

Keep us posted, I'd be very interested to know if it cleans up.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 pm

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Hopefully in the next few days I will have time and it won't be raining Very Happy at the same time!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:35 pm

I know its been a while, but I finally got around to the trim. I tried wet sanding, but the spots were still there. I took it a step further and using a razor sliced layers off the trim, only to find the same thing deep in the PVC. The only thing that would save this trim would be a re-paint. On closer inspection, it appears that the paint is gone on the trim where you see the orangeish spots. At any rate, I went ahead and deleted the trim. I must say, I like the look without the trim. My thumbs are sore from rubbing that glue off the body, but it looks good.
I do have one question for those who did this. What did you do about the rear corner pieces? There are screws behind that trim. I would just leave that trim on, but it just looks bad.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi 95BRMW

Did you get my PM about the bolt you were looking for?

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 pm

i have a 2 tone wagon and the chrome is bad i am going to remove molding then replace it with 1'' chrome molding i bought. i think the factory chrome is 7/8. i will post pics when i get it done.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 pm

What the trim looked like on my 3rd wagon when I purchased it. It had the faded, peeling wrinkled chrome with the dirty "rusty" spots on the body colored grey.
Caprice belt line trim Passdoording

What I did with the trim on my first wagon before selling it.
Caprice belt line trim 100_1512

I do believe the bumper trim is 7/8, like stated above, and the aftermarket trim I used is 1 inch. It is a hair bigger and slightly different shape than the bumper trim but hard to notice as they don't touch each other.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 am

rh96ss your 1st wagon looked great. you did same thing i want to do except i will be using chrome molding
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caprice belt line trim   Caprice belt line trim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Caprice belt line trim
Page 1 of 1