GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ignition Prolems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sswagon

sswagon

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 10:42 pm

I have been having problems starting my '93 Roadmaster when I turn the key. I can jump it at the starter and it starts right up. I replaced the ignition switch on the column and it starts right up and runs great. However, now when I go to take it out of park, it dies immediately! I can't even get to reverse before it dies. Help. Please.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 5:50 am

Sounds like you have a short in the column. Could be wrong but if it dies as you start to shift it could be an area you may want to look.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 9:59 pm

When you say your replaced the ignition switch, are you referring to the keyed lock/switch, or the electrical switch on the lower column? If you replaced the electrical switch, make sure you have the switch in the correct position. Also check for a loose/broken wire, or insulation worn through. It might be easier, and cheaper to replace the column with a used one. Depending on the color of your interior, you may have a difficult time finding the exact color. SEM paint will fix any color issues. The dark tan is hardest color to find. Camel, Dark Sapphire Blue, and Dark Maple Red are easier to find, and so is the Ruby Red. Any column from 92-96 will work. The 91 column did not have the push brake to release function.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 9:58 am

The lock cylinder where the key goes was replaced last year. I replaced the rectangle ignition switch at the top of the column right behind the lower dash area. I think I may need to loosen it and slide it up or down and retry starting the car again to see if I have moved it the correct way. Would this be the correct assumption? (Also, interior is blue cloth and yes, the switch is a pain in the....neck. Literally) Thank You
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 6:11 pm

If you can not get it to adjust correctly, check your local PNP yards for 92-93 B-bodies. The 91s will fit as well, but you will not have the push brake to shift function.
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 8:38 am

i think there may be a VATS prob.... if I remember there is a single wire on the tumbler that breaks. Do you get a passkey error
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 10:19 am

Bert Slater wrote:
i think there may be a VATS prob.... if I remember there is a single wire on the tumbler that breaks. Do you get a passkey error
93s do not have VATS.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I would like to thank you guys for your help. I started realizing this may be more than I can do. I ended up taking the wagon to a shop that I have dealt with before. I found out the ignition switch wasn't the problem. There is a thing called a roll and pin set up in the column where the tilt section is and it had some broken pieces. I had them rebuild the entire upper column. Now everything is tight, it starts right up and it also fixed the wiper issue I was having. I remember Fred saying something about a multi switch at the end of the turn signal lever that was a royal pain in the ____ to replace and it controls turn signals, wiper delay and cruise control. I'm glad to know that is fixed too. Thanks again, guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ignition Prolems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Prolems   Ignition Prolems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ignition Prolems
Page 1 of 1