GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brass-colored ignition key

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

Brass-colored ignition key Empty
PostSubject: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 am

My RMW came with a blank-looking brass-colored ignition key without the VATS resistor. Has a 4 stamped on it. In the knockout hole is a tag with a code- I assume this is the key from the production line or something, but what's it for?
Back to top Go down
Stolas

Stolas

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Its the key for a replacement ignition switch. That key is supposed to be so you can have a vats blank copied for the ignition. I can only assume the car is running and if so the vats on your wagon has been bypassed/disabled. I know because i just replaced mine and bypassed vats a few weeks ago, been using the brass key ever since.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Your VATS module requires a #4 key. The locksmith stamped the number into the plain key that comes with the switch so that if a new key is ever needed the next locksmith will know what key blank to use.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 pm

New AC Delco ignition switch assembles come with the key blank with no VATS pellet, to use as a guide to cut the new VATS key at the dealer. There must be a reason why..
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

The reason is the fact that there are 15 different resistance values and only one key cylinder.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Right. I forgot that. Haha
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks- that does explain it. Found pictures of the Delco replacement and that's exactly the key I have. Obviously replacing the cylinder has nothing to do with VATS, my VATS is enabled and works as expected- I tried starting the car with the brass key and it doesn't work.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brass-colored ignition key   Brass-colored ignition key Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brass-colored ignition key
Page 1 of 1