GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear sway bar

Go down 
+8
Capala
Fred Kiehl
94Woody
shrimpNE
phantom 309
MalibuSSwagon
dmg4
jayoldschool
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Not lookin for options. But i saw a late 80s fleetwood owned by lil old lady with a rear bar. Were these the same as later fleetwoods bein on wagon frame? Thought mite be option for wagons.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 8:30 pm

No, the 80s RWD Cadillacs are the same 77-96 B/D (and originally called C) bodies, and they share the rear bar geometry with the sedans.
Back to top Go down

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Ok cool. Glad i mentioned it before tryin tell wagon guys to hunt for it
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 6:30 am

I can understand the need for a low-dollar rear swaybar option, but for under $300, the Hotchkis 2206R is so easy to install that even I didn't screw it up. I'd rather mow lawns in my spare time to raise that amount of cash, or forego some other necessity, than to lie on my back in the mud in a pick and pull yard, dodging yellowjackets, trying to remove an old bar off a rusty wreck. As much fun as that could be, I just want someone else to experience it.

Heck, if I had sheep, I could pimp them and make that kind of money in a heartbeat in upstate NY. A guy gets lonely up here.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 am

I just did the Crown Vic bar on mine, was easy to remove in the junkyard and even got new endlinks with it. I had $40 all in once it was on my wagon. Huge improvement over no sway bar.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 9:16 am

dmg4 wrote:
lie on my back in the mud in a pick and pull yard, dodging yellowjackets, trying to remove an old bar off a rusty wreck. .

I like 'yarding' picking small cool stuff,.

but i can definitely say i wouldn't want to go yarding in the yard you are describing,. it's been a hot summer here in ontario,. sure not much mud around,. and the yards i frequent usually put their cars up on old rims so you can lie underneath them,. some folks enjoy the challenge of finding obscure stuff in the yards and using their skills to sometimes mcgyver stuff into place,.
others prefer to buy shiny new stuff and just bolt it on,.

each to their own,.
Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Has anyone used the ADDCO Rear Sway bar ?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
dmg4 wrote:
lie on my back in the mud in a pick and pull yard, dodging yellowjackets, trying to remove an old bar off a rusty wreck. .

I like 'yarding' picking small cool stuff,.

but i can definitely say i wouldn't want to go yarding in the yard you are describing,. it's been a hot summer here in ontario,. sure not much mud around,. and the yards i frequent usually put their cars up on old rims so you can lie underneath them,. some folks enjoy the challenge of finding obscure stuff in the yards and using their skills to sometimes mcgyver stuff into place,.
others prefer to buy shiny new stuff and just bolt it on,.

each to their own,.

Agreed. I love going yarding. Some good parts to be found on those rusty wrecks.

Every yard I have been in keeps the cars well off the ground, using rims like you mentioned. Once saw stands made out of the old Buick wheels some folks love.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 pm

I still have a Hotchkis 2206R if someone wants it...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm

dmg4 wrote:
I can understand the need for a low-dollar rear swaybar option, but for under $300, the Hotchkis 2206R is so easy to install that even I didn't screw it up.  I'd rather mow lawns in my spare time to raise that amount of cash, or forego some other necessity, than to lie on my back in the mud in a pick and pull yard, dodging yellowjackets, trying to remove an old bar off a rusty wreck.  As much fun as that could be, I just want someone else to experience it.

Heck, if I had sheep, I could pimp them and make that kind of money in a heartbeat in upstate NY.  A guy gets lonely up here.

If you pimp your sheep to your congressmen, you will get your best return on investment.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Quote :
If you pimp your sheep to your congressmen, you will get your best return on investment.

Even sheep have standards below which is simply unthinkable.
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am

Jay old-school do you still have the Hotchkiss bar? If so how much do you want for it? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Jay what part do you have with the sway bar and how much do you want for it?
Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 pm

HOTCHKISS 2206R Issue- According to the Hotchikiss instructions there is a trap to doing the rear bar on a wagon :
1.) Wagon Bars of course are different from Sedans.
2.) Wagons that have stock trailing arms need a kit of several bolts and a special GM part number metal channel to fit into the stock trailing arm to allow you to bolt the Hotchkiss to the trailing arm. OR you can throw out your stock trailing arms and upgrade that also to Hotchkiss.
3.) If you add a rear bar to your wagong they say you MUST upgrade to a Hotchkiss FRONT bar.
So basically you are looking at $ 1,000 to "Do it Right " the Hotchliss Way!

Kind of a deal breaker.

Was there EVER a factory sway bar for the 1991-1996 B body Wagons ?

yes I hope.

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm

No. There was never a factory rear bar for these wagons.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2018 11:32 pm

You do not have to use the front bar with the Hotchkiss rear bar. They suggest it because they want to sell you a front bar. Check the specs on the front bar diameter, and if the 9C1 bar is about the same, you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 am

The 2206R is a hollow bar of larger diameter than the stock 9C1 sway bar.  Same stiffness, lighter weight.  Fred's right about their desire to sell more sway bars.  I wish that translated into Hotchkiss keeping a few in stock so that buyers didn't have to wait 3 months for an order.

In principle, Hotchkiss is correct: you probably don't want radically different stiffness between the front and rear bar.   But, does anyone imagine that the difference between the 2206R and the stock front bar is greater than the stock front bar and no rear bar; (your present situation)?

Check the posts on this forum for the many different cases where diverse sway bars were adapted to these cars.  I can't recall any that complain that handling was worse after an appropriate rear bar was added.

So, by adding almost any appropriate bar to the rear of a wagon, you are most likely decreasing the above difference between front and rear tendency to wallow.  Hotchkiss is just being a bit reckless with the truth.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2018 8:19 am

the orange wagon has a big hotchkiss rear bar with stock front.
works just fine , holds the ass end nice and flat, and when pushed hard it drifts nicely,.
most rwd drivers are comfy with a tail happy car, thats why wintertime driving is so much fun.
noobies should stop reading the internet so much, and just bolt things on and go drive.
i have done a few things over the years that the internets have said it either couldn't be done or shouldn't be done.
I have used F body bars, 9c1 bars, herb adams bars,.hellwig bars,. hotchkiss bar.
i can tell you this that ANY rear bar on a wagon makes a dramatic improvement to the way car feels and handles.
most wagon owners never drive the cars to the edge of the cars limits anyway so a really big bar never gets fully utilized. not all sway bars are equal either, type A bar might have different metallurgy than type B, yet be a smaller better bar than the larger type B bar.
some 12" long pieces of square tubing that fit inside the lower control arms , a hand drill, and some decent 3/8's bolts and you can install a bar in less than an hour.
along with some 3:42/3:73 gears some really good shocks, and you can transform a wagons handling and driving dramatically.
Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 am

So it looks like I am going to do a bill of materials
for a rear bar and that means
Square Tubings GM # __________
Bolts GM# ___________________
Washers GM # ________________

Now I just gotta recall where I saw those GM parts numbers!

And I think I will order the ADDCO bar
and get some new endlinks for the front
with the poly bushings and see where I come out!

I should also replace the front shocks with a "harder " shock.

Has anyone got experience with a stiffer shock for the front ?

My front dives so much when I brake at traffic lights, it is crazy.

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 10:41 am

Quote :
Has anyone got experience with a stiffer shock for the front ?

My front dives so much when I brake at traffic lights, it is crazy.

Yep. Lots of folks on this site have installed stiffer shocks. I've used Monroe Severe Service up front on two Caprice wagons and two Roadmaster wagons. I like them very much. Much firmer than OEM, inexpensive, no nose dive, and they don't make the car ride like a dump truck.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am

shrimpNE wrote:
HOTCHKISS 2206R Issue- According to the Hotchikiss instructions there is a trap to doing the rear bar on a wagon :
2.) Wagons that  have stock trailing arms need a kit of several bolts and a special GM part number metal channel to fit into the stock trailing arm to allow you to bolt the Hotchkiss to the trailing arm. OR you can throw out your stock trailing arms and upgrade that also to Hotchkiss.
3.) If you add a rear bar to your wagong they say you MUST upgrade to a Hotchkiss FRONT bar.
So basically you are looking at $ 1,000 to  "Do it Right " the Hotchliss Way!

Kind of a deal breaker.

yes I hope.

Or, you can buy the front and rear bar set that I have for $350.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 6:13 am

""Was there EVER a factory sway bar for the 1991-1996 B body Wagons ?""

If you mean a rear bar:

No.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 10:36 pm

i used a impala rear bar i think it was a 1971. i would need to double check that. i needed to add a spacer to get it to clear the dif cover.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
ROADM96#

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Cheap Rear Bar Solution   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 9:29 am

I installed an inexpensive Rear Sway Bar option on my 96 RMW yesterday. I can't take credit for it, I found a post from a guy who provided the details.
I bought - an 03 - 11 Ford Crown Vic 15mm sway bar on ebay: $55 free shipping. (2) 3" exhaust clamps part #: SUM - G4630-1and a set of Energy Suspension 1.65" (sleeve) end links - part # ENS-9-8120G. both items from Summit for $27 + shipping. Total - $92.
The upper frame section already had dimples for the holes, I suspect this was done to accommodate sedans with bars.
Simple to drill out. I used an air powered bottle jack to push the end link up high enough into the hole to add the upper bushing, cap and nut.

I'm really happy with the bar, no rubbing or noise and it really helps with cornering, these cars really need them.

Back to top Go down
MrEarl

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 10:38 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
shrimpNE wrote:
2.) Wagons that  have stock trailing arms need a kit of several bolts and a special GM part number metal channel to fit into the stock trailing arm to allow you to bolt the Hotchkiss to the trailing arm. OR you can throw out your stock trailing arms and upgrade that also to Hotchkiss.
So basically you are looking at $ 1,000 to  "Do it Right " the Hotchliss Way!

Kind of a deal breaker.

yes I hope.

Or, you can buy the front and rear bar set that I have for $350.

Hey Jay I was referred to here by a friend Ed Raner over on the AACA/BCA forum. Would be interested in the bars if you still have them. Not allowed to send message as I am too new here. I have a 79 Buick Estate wagon I may can use these on. Email me at 1954buick at gmail dot com please
Back to top Go down
MrEarl

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 10:43 pm

Oh well guess you can disregard Jay, found your for sale ad and see that you have sold them. thanks anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear sway bar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bar   Rear sway bar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear sway bar
Page 1 of 1