GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It is a long roof, but not a GM

Go down 
+5
Andebe
Sprocket
Mark 96 Roady
BigBlackBeaSSt
95BRMW
9 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

It is a long roof, but not a GM Empty
PostSubject: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 2:12 pm

I Bought this thing at the end of July with a bad engine (dropped valve seat) and after pricing out every possible repair I bought and installed a reman engine.  It's up and running now and holy crap is it fun to drive!  Makes the LS olds feel slow.

And yes, it has a Hemi (anyone else remember those commercials??

Anyways, it's a 2006 Magnum R/T AWD with 208k on the clock.  2 owner car, maintained meticulously by both owners inside and out.  Hell, even the inside of the motor was clean!  Stock its rated at 345HP/390LBft torque.  It hauls ass and sure is fun when it's not doing annoying Chrysler things Razz
Now, I kinda want to drive an SRT8 Magnum

So this is where I've been the last few months, had a lot to learn about these modern cars.

It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160913_184548_zpslt39udy7
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160913_184557_zpsltb4gbma
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160913_184508_zpsxgev3duf
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160911_115853_zpsvveyukkn
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160828_145046_zpsfhdsvniw
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160819_181041_zpsdozemskw

There's your problem
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160803_224305_zpsuwrfrjvt
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160731_202235_zpspf0jase7

Ouch!
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160808_140605_zpstf8yfvz2

Look at that engine bay, this thing barely fits in there.  I've done a few engine swaps, and I have to say this thing has been the most the difficult by far.  The AWD components added hours to the job and this thing is just plain tight in there.  If you ever have the chance to do this, install the heads after the block is in the car.
It is a long roof, but not a GM 20160828_145038_zps2o38dgtn
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Nice work! And the tow rating is still 1500 lbs.......
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 am

How cool! I can only imagine how much noise that old engine must have made. I've never sat inside one of those wagons. Are they pretty roomy? And, I gotta be nosy and ask-what does a reman Hemi cost??
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
How cool! I can only imagine how much noise that old engine must have made. I've never sat inside one  of those wagons. Are they pretty roomy? And, I gotta be nosy and ask-what does a reman Hemi cost??

Nowhere near as roomy as our wago s. I looked hard at these before I got a B-body. Then found out they got worse gas mileage and never looked back.

Never rode in an AWD drive one though....
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 11:02 am

Ive always liked the looks of these.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:14 pm

They're roomy for a "modern" car, but not compared to our land yachts.
After a month of driving it and fixing issues here and there like typical suspension clunks, I'll say I'm happy with the car for the most part. One thing I've learned about it is repairs are not as cheap as our cars, or even my 07 Lucerne. The prices go up as this car is AWD and there's very little after market parts in the suspension department as well as the motor mounts.
The power is awesome on this thing, but comes with meh fuel economy. I'm sure it'll get worse now that I got the Diablo tuner in and put a 93 octance performance tune on it. It's supposed to add 15-20 RWHP to this thing which I don't feel to be a lie. The first ride in it with that tune installed was a blast.

And for those wondering, the reman Hemi long block with a 3yr unlimited mile warranty was around $2800. By no means cheap, but could be worse. That's not including the extra gaskets and what not I needed.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2016 8:58 am

Are you getting a penta star tattoo?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 5:35 pm

Are you going to thin the herd? Do you think you guys will come back in the spring for Wagonfest?
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 3:55 am

Must be some fun to drive that car!
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 5:59 pm

There is a local guy who is trying to piece together a class-action against Chrysler to take responsibility for valve seats dropping out of those Hemis..... Apparently, according to this guy, Chrysler has more recently updated the valve seats, which he takes as an admission of guilt. Unfortunately, his car is years out of warranty and has over 100k miles.....
I have a friend that believes Magnum wagons would be good candidates for LS swaps.....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 8:12 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Are you getting a penta star tattoo?

Yes, it's a secret where though

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Are you going to thin the herd? Do you think you guys will come back in the spring for Wagonfest?
I'm always thinning the herd, everything has a price tag Very Happy
Planning to come down for Dayona unless I can't get the time off.

andy caprice wrote:
Must be some fun to drive that car!
It sure is, makes me really want to build a better LS for my olds Razz

AzDon wrote:
There is a local guy who is trying to piece together a class-action against Chrysler to take responsibility for valve seats dropping out of those Hemis..... Apparently, according to this guy, Chrysler has more recently updated the valve seats, which he takes as an admission of guilt. Unfortunately, his car is years out of warranty and has over 100k miles.....
I have a friend that believes Magnum wagons would be good candidates for LS swaps.....
I saw talk of that but I'd be way beyond whatever requirements I'm sure.
I googled LS Magnums and it has been done, for obvious reasons lol
Back to top Go down
v8440

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 pm

I had an '05 hemi magnum, rwd. With 400 miles on it, I dynoed it. On 87 octane, it made 278 hp at the tires. The particular dyno was known to be a bit stingy. Great car, never gave me any trouble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It is a long roof, but not a GM   It is a long roof, but not a GM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It is a long roof, but not a GM
Page 1 of 1