GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever

Go down 
+8
Sprocket
brokecello
DPM96C
Big Wagon Guy
Andebe
81X11
silverfox103
dmg4
12 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Empty
PostSubject: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 5:32 am

Enough... this has gone on long enough without new post.  I can just see I'll have to buy another vehicle and write it up.  I have been limited to one wagon by my lovely wife, but she did not preclude another sedan, and so begins the story.

Venturing north to the wilds of Canada, I discovered a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham hiding out at the John P's Home for Wayward Wagons.  Hey, it's not a wagon, but it is at least 10 inches longer than my 1996 Caprice.  John was having trouble finding time to drive roughly 30 cars at one time, and so he and I struck a deal to reduce his driving workload to 29.  John promptly acquired another car.

Number one son drove me as far as Niagara Falls, and dumped me at the border to await Johns' arrival with items to trade with the natives, and a bag of cash.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Homele10

John arrived a short time later with the car in tow, and after a short visit, I started my run for the border.  Still armed with a bag of cash, and fully expecting to be reamed by US Customs, I was pleasantly surprised that that little "1" up front in the VIN indicates US manufactured for the US market.  No duty due.  America IS getting great again. I can feel it.

Rolled the odometer over to 100,000 just 1 mile from home!

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Odomet10

Now began the clean-up.  My wife was away for a week and I had neglected to mention to her that this car would be in the garage (in her bay, no less) when she returned.   Because the Home for Wayward Wagons is on a long stretch of dirt road, the car came with a thorough treatment of Amish Undercoating (all the mud, albeit minus the upcharge for cowshit).  This had to go.  A mere 90 minutes of near continuous powerwashing the vehicle, and a good part of the Canadian highway system was headed for the Finger Lakes.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Dirtri10

The car originally had high-polish chrome wheels, but these were stolen in its former life and replaced with caddy lace wheels.  Because 2 acres of chrome cladding on the body is just too understated,  I picked up a set of new chrome wheels.   I feel sorry for the poor bugger who illuminates the broadside of this car with his high beams!

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Toht_810

Cleanup continued with the engine bay.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Engine10

And interior

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Fronti10

Until finally, it was ready to drive to the Holy Ground of Wagonfest NY

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Img_1810
LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Img_1811
LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Img_1812
LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Img_1813
LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Img_1814

Yep... I need to fix that cockeyed front plate bracket.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks for being the WOTM!!

Nice addition Dave, you did a good job cleaning her up. Did the Fleetwoods come from the factory with the sun / moonroof? Someone stole the underhood light cover.

You and Nick can be twins now!

Tom
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 am

Quote :
Someone stole the underhood light cover

Does anyone have one of these kicking around that is not opaque?

Sunroof was a factory option according to my source. John knows the complete history of the car.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 am

REALLY pretty color! I love the interior and the sunroof, and yes those chrome wheels are a MUST! Glad that one found a good home. Beautiful car!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 11:23 am

Nice write up,Dave. Jealous of that latest toy. One day,Andy. One day...
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 11:25 am

Andy: you need to write up the story of your latest acquisition for October. The public has a right to know.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Awesome write up David. I can honestly say I will miss that car, but happy to see it in your hands. The car was originally a GM of Canada fleet vehicle. It was driven by the GM of General Motors Canada for the 1st 6 months of its existence before being sold to a WW2 Fighter Pilot. (Notice the little symbol on the rear trunk lid just above the Cadillac emblem). The car was fully loaded for its year, tow package, leather, sun roof.

Awesome machine, I hope it brings you miles and miles of smiles.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 am

It's off to the local tint shop today for the full Mafia makeover.  I'm holding off on the Corleone vanity plate, as I travel to RI a lot and some of the folks I grew up with there will take exception to, shall we say, cultural appropriation.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Godfat10
Back to top Go down
DPM96C

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 am

Great writeup, and what a car!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 9:31 am

Man, that is a nice Caddy!! Nice write up too Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Wow, such a clean car. Needs more air fresheners though! Yea, first thing I did was put the chrome stocks on mine. Cost me a good set of Michelans that were on the non polished wheels, but really make the car pop. Only had mine about 2 years but it was time to go with no AC, no reverse, peeling vinyl top, and clear coat starting to go...It's still in the wagon family though Smile
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 am

Quote :
Needs more air fresheners though!

Ozone treatment of the interior is done.  Still waiting on the Bizol to arrive (magic on AC systems).  Those little stink-sticks are gone.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever 06b4d-10
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 8:07 am

I have an under hood light cover somewhere.

Tim
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 am

I'll take it. Email sent.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 am

Enjoy....
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 10:27 am

I did the 'border meet up' with Mr. P once myself. I will never forget the boarder guard recognized the parts in the car as B Body parts. What are the chances?!
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2018 5:25 am

Thanks, and a tip of the hat to Tim Swink for providing a mint underhood light, as well as a supply of bleeder valves for the cooling system.

Now, if I can just find a passenger side air dam and a wheelhouse extension, it won't look like a smiling hockey player from the front.  Does anyone have the parts circled on the attached diagram?  

Look underneath any nearby sleeping unicorns. I'm sure there is one out there with my name on it.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever 52856912
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 am

dmg4 wrote:
Thanks, and a tip of the hat to Tim Swink for providing a mint underhood light, as well as a supply of bleeder valves for the cooling system.

Now, if I can just find a passenger side air dam and a wheelhouse extension, it won't look like a smiling hockey player from the front.  Does anyone have the parts circled on the attached diagram?  

Look underneath any nearby sleeping unicorns. I'm sure there is one out there with my name on it.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever 52856912

I threw away about 1/2 dozen of those when I moved from PA. Sorry Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

Quote :
I threw away about 1/2 dozen of those when I moved from PA.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Nooooo10

Where is the landfill where you lived in PA? I can be there before dark to start digging!
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2018 10:11 pm

I LOVE working on this car.  Just step over the bumper and stand anywhere.  Once I get it converted over to electric fans and get the air pump junk out of the way, I'll be able to invite a few friends to stand around under the hood and watch!

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Unknow12
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 5:35 pm

John P. suggested a few tasteful mods today. I declined, but offered to drive a stake through the heart of the owner of the car below if we can find out where he sleeps during daylight.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Unknow10
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Looks like it went through the shop up the street from my house. Everything comes in looking normal but leaves looking like a monster truck. They currently have a pristine Rambler wagon that I am not looking forward to seeing the end result of.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2018 6:41 pm

I noticed that the front bumperettes are missing the chrome top trim. I could be talked out of a pair for a price.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 4:56 am

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever C9141910
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Cornell has shut down for the holidays until January 2nd, and the government shutdown may extend that further.  So, this has provided some extra time to putz around each wheel well and do a bit of cleanup.

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Refini10
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 pm

Dave you have not been updating the D body diary...we need to keep this site alive! What have you done to it since the last update?

HendersonRacing514 likes this post

Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 11:42 am

I second that, Big Wagon Guy. I love reading through some of these older threads and seeing member’s restorations, builds, or rescues! It keeps me motivated to clean up and keep working on the often overwhelming list of TO DO’s on my own wagon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever   LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LROM September 2018 - Long roof, long hood, huge, the biggest in history, maybe ever
Page 1 of 1