GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!

Go down 
+3
dmg4
Andebe
harrisons13
7 posters
AuthorMessage
harrisons13

harrisons13

Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Empty
PostSubject: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 10:19 pm

I finally found the head unit I wanted. Its the 91-94 Buick Radio with EQ and is re-manufactured and looks like new! I am having it put in because I don't want to have to take the bracket and I'm worried about the wiring harness from the Ken-wood cassette I had in it. Long story short, to save money I thought I'd tackle the speakers myself. What brands do you recomend that are affordable. I'm planning on getting mine at pepboys so I'm sure anything there works. Also what problems will I run into when swapping the front 4X6 out and the 6X9 out. Aren't those the correct sizes?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 10:06 am

Inside the door,the weather protector (plastic), will probably be shot. Not the end of the world if you discard it. Most speakers are plug and play. Be patient on removing the door panel,as they are notorious for being weak. If you break some christmas tree clips,Pep Boys should have them too.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 10:20 am

Cloth on the 6X9s in the rear will likely be detached or turn to powdery in your hands. Any thin silk-like dark colored cloth will do to keep the speaker cones from filling with dust.

Take care that you make wire connections so that all speakers are in phase, not mixed with + to - and - to +. The OEM speakers should have different sized spade connections to prevent this.

Depending on the power of the magnets in the rear speakers, it may involve a bit of wrasslin to get them into place. They'll want to clamp onto any metal they get close to. Be careful with them or you'll rip a cone apart when they make the jump to the car body. It's a bit tight back there.

oldsmike likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 1:25 pm

From experience of hearing them in friends' cars, and being a car audio nerd myself, the Infinity Kappa speakers are pretty nice.

Last edited by TheRoadmasterKing on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 3:35 pm

You can get some good deals on speakers on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
turnofftheradio

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 12:42 pm

It might be worth it to you to explore using an adapter in the rear to make it round like it should be.  However there are plenty of 6x9's out there to choose from as well.  even the inexpensive ones will sound much better than old used stock speakers.
Idk what size front on 93, but 96 is not a 4x6 on mine. maybe someone else can verify this for you.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 8:22 pm

The only issue with 6X9 rear speakers is the height above the mounting bracket. The stock ones are about as tall as you can go, and still get the covers back on. Some of the fronts have an ABS "bucket". Those are usually 4X6. I believe some had small round speakers as well.

There is not enough room to put a 9 inch round speaker in the rear. I have larger round speakers in the front, but the door panels were cut before I got the car. The original installer was a real butcher. I did the best to make them look professional, but it still looks a little butchered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!   Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gotta Head Unit!!! Speaker Question!
Page 1 of 1