GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back for a while I think.

Go down 
+5
Andebe
lakeffect
phantom 309
dmg4
jayoldschool
9 posters
AuthorMessage
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

Back for a while I think. Empty
PostSubject: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 9:01 am

I lost faith in my wagon for a while. last spring it left me stranded on the way home from work. I am one of the few remaining people on the planet without a cell phone so this is never a good situation. After throwing parts at it I finally ended up replacing the fuel pump. It was out for most of the summer and I was really enjoying my corvette. I had pretty much planned on doing a bit of touch up to it and brooming it or trying to this spring.

When we took it for a shakedown run a few weeks ago my son exclaimed "I love this car". We took it on a scout outing and ferried 3 other scouts on the trip.  I got 19.4 MPG.  I was/am having second thought about trying to sell.

Yesterday, while on my way to a DR's appointment, this happened.

The tires are all of 2.5 years old. I realize this can happen to any vehicle, but this is the second blowout on this car. Sad

Back for a while I think. Blowout
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 9:53 am

1. What tires are they?
2. What are the date codes on the tires?
3. What pressure do you run, and how often do you check it (honestly)?
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 10:36 am

(2) 255/70R-15 Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 (REAR)
(2) 235/75R-15 Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 (FRONT)

I THINK they were purchased just over 2 years ago but cannot verify till I get home. Possibly 3 years ago at the most. (new online)

Back for a while I think. T1-1

I will try to get the date codes but I assume they are less than a year before I purchased them.

all big old school 15" tires I run @ 32 PSI. these tires were checked/filled just over 2 weeks ago.

I try to check every month or so but it can be as long as 3 months.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

I'm guessing here...rear tire? Passenger side?
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 11:31 am

3TONFUN wrote:
I'm guessing here...rear tire?  Passenger side?  

rear drivers side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 11:42 am

Rear tires are prone to getting driven on while low on pressure more often than fronts. This is due to the driver not being able to 'feel' the pressure difference as well as a front tire. And rear tires are also more prone to catching objects that can cause a puncture that can potentially cause a pressure leak. Heat builds up fast in a low tire (especially at higher speeds).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Wow, that's both scary and annoying! Was this due to a puncture or just a random blowout?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 1:59 pm

You could check tire pressure as often as you like, but if you pick up a nail or otherwise puncture the tire and loose air 10 minutes later, even on a short trip you can blow them out from underinflation and heat. Nonetheless, if it happens a third time, I'm staying away from you in thunderstorms.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Glide-Aways wrote:
Wow, that's both scary and annoying! Was this due to a puncture or just a random blowout?

While I don't have the tire off to check for a puncture, I believe the sidewall gave way on its own.
It started making noise and as I was slowing down it blew out.

I believe it was a manufacturing defect and not a road hazard, but have no way to prove it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 5:10 pm

32 is to low inmho for such a big heavy car
I run 38 rear 36 front on the 15" tires
The 17's i run 40 all around
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Perhaps the replacements will be a major brand.

Can't say I have ever had a blow out like that in fifty years of driving. Been running BF Goodrich for most of those years, once the tires that came with the car got thin.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeFri May 26, 2017 10:07 am

The lower tire pressure,combined with tall sidewall,streched over a 6"wide wheel,must have created some squat/bulge in the tire. Was rubbing an issue?
Back to top Go down
4oldcars

4oldcars

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeFri May 26, 2017 11:03 am

Michelin. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 am

Pretty paranoid about tire pressure now. I paid to have it mounted this time, due to health pain issues. hopefully this one will not be a problem.
overall the car is functioning fine and delivering 17-19 MPG.

I wish the low fuel light came on a little earlier.
yesterday it came on and I pulled into a gas station about 12 miles later. I ended up putting in 21.2 gallons.

I need a few parts to fix it up to a minimum standard so I will be posting that up soon.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 11:10 am

What pressure in the new tires?
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 11:41 am

frederickflintstone wrote:

I wish the low fuel light came on a little earlier.
yesterday it came on and I pulled into a gas station about 12 miles later. I ended up putting in 21.2 gallons.

probably best to go by gauge position/trip odo. I think it's better for your fuel pump not to take it down that low. Ever since I changed my pump and sender, I've only ever been able to put 16 US Gal, showing in the hashed area near E. Max capacity shows dead on F. Never took the time to drive around with a jerry can to see how low I can take it. I like it this way though. I prevents my wife from driving it till the light comes on, which is her thing.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 11:20 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
What pressure in the new tires?

I am taking the suggestions to heart and bumped the rears up to 36.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Manufacturing date code?

A few pounds of pressure off spec, either way, won't cause a blowout on a modern tire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back for a while I think.   Back for a while I think. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back for a while I think.
Page 1 of 1