GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Key issues?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 pm

So my key is getting harder and harder to turn. I have to seriously mess with it to start the car. Like jiggle the wheel and the gear shift lever. I was told this could be the lock cylinder?

Would that be the culprit? If so, how difficult is it to change?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:00 pm

try squirting a little WD40 in there? That's what I do to my house lock when it starts to stick....
Back to top Go down

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Would it be easier to squirt it on the key and put it in or right into the lock cylinder?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Squirt it in the cylinder with the little red tube.

To change the lock cylinder, you have to dig into the steering column until you have the turn signal mechanism out. Depending on the year, you may have to get a key that works with your alarm system.

The wire on the top of he column may be sticking at the electricial part of the switch further down the column. To check, you have to drop the column. The electrical part of the switch may be broken as well, you would also have to drop the column to get to it.

It could be the brake lockout switch either mallfunctioning, or out of adjustment/loose.
Back to top Go down

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 pm

I have a '92. No VATS to deal with or any of that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 pm

I have a good lock and key set if you need one. $15 shipped. Check the other items first.
Back to top Go down

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 pm

I'll give it a good squirt or two (lmao) tomorrow and see what happens.
Back to top Go down

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Forgot to do this, but spraying WD40 in the key hole worked perfectly. All seems to be quiet on the eastern front.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Key issues? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key issues?   Key issues? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Key issues?
Page 1 of 1