GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.

Go down 
+2
96Brougham
Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Empty
PostSubject: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 pm

So I got back around to working on 'bright red' OCC today. Have to pull the axles and replace the seals by the wheels.

make a long story short, I can't get the &^%$(*& lug nuts off. I got 1 off, but the other 9 ain't budging.

Used a X handle but that's not metric (usually works) and started to round the corners.
Used a 19MM socket with a breaker bar. (6 inch extension was twisting a quarter turn (3/8 was all I had).

Pulled out the Brand New, never used factory wrench out of Ruby and proceed to BEND THE HEX END all up using it with a pipe over it.

Between that and breaking my brand new 300 buck sink this morning, Sprocket is not too happy this eve.....

Any Ideas?????
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm

I'd hit it with an impact gun and a 19mm impact socket.. maybe drive it to a local shop and have them remove the lug nuts and re-install to factory torque spec so theyre easier to get off when you get it back home??
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 pm

96Brougham wrote:
I'd hit it with an impact gun and a 19mm impact socket.. maybe drive it to a local shop and have them remove the lug nuts and re-install to factory torque spec so theyre easier to get off when you get it back home??

Two great ideas except:

I did hit it with my crappy impact gun (no torque setting), don't have a 19mm impact socket and the car is not registered but more than that, I already drained the diff and pulled the pin (and managed to spin one axle so it's all out of line now.....yaay me.

I think I'm going to have to buy a better impact gun, but I literally dropped 320 bucks already this morning (dropped my brand new kitchen sink and broke it affraid .........so looking for a low buck alternative.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:55 pm

place a deep 3/4 socket over the lugs and pound it hard!! it'll loosen their grip,.
If your nuts are deformed from twisting them so much What a Face , beat them with a small ball peen,. then drive an 18mm socket on 'em,.
if you have one,use a propane plumbing torch and heat them a little (a lot)

Nick
king of the hot wrench and big hammer, rust belt land.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Take it to Jiffy Lube and get an oil change. They will rotate the tires for you. Get home and then fix the axle seals.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
place a deep 3/4 socket over the lugs and pound it hard!! it'll loosen their grip,.
If your nuts are deformed from twisting them so much What a Face , beat them with a small ball peen,. then drive an 18mm socket on 'em,.
if you have one,use a propane plumbing torch and heat them a little (a lot)

Nick
king of the hot wrench and big hammer, rust belt land.

thanks Nick, I forgot about the torch method. I used it with great success when I owned the NYSP 1A2.

I figure whoever put them on ran 'em up waay over 100ft/lbs
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 10:59 pm

This is exactly why I always use my torque wrench on the lug nuts.

The other thing to do is use an air chisel directly on the head of the lugnut to shock it enough and break it loose.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Breaker bar and proper size socket FTW.

Went to my local cheap Chinese tool co (aka Harbor Freight) and rustled me up a 1/2 in drive breaker bar on sale for 12 bucks and a set of deep metric impact sockets from10mm to 32mm!! for 20 bucks. Less 20% for the coupons I had (made two trips one this am and one after work). And got a free LED flashlight.....sweet!

Got home slapped that 19MM on there and broke all 5 on the drivers side, although I has moving the whole car they finally broke. Lightning started so I hauled my butt inside where it's safe. It's rocking out there right now, hope the power stays on till my frozen pizza is done.

Last edited by Sprocket on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 pm

"If your nuts are deformed from twisting them so much What a Face , beat them with a small ball peen,. then drive an 18mm socket on 'em ...if you have one,use a propane plumbing torch and heat them a little (a lot)"

(Even thinking about this is making things shrivel up!)

I think this is what Lorain Bobbit tried before she found that knife. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.   My nuts are frozen!!!!  and it's not even winter. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My nuts are frozen!!!! and it's not even winter.
Page 1 of 1