GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Axle Bushings

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Jack

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi guys,
I'm waiting for my UMI upper & lower trailing arms to arrive. I got the ones with greasable roto-joints.
I also ordered polyurethane Bushings for the differential, but am having second thoughts as I'm concerned they may bind/squeak.
I haven't been able to find any spherical bearings made specifically for the b body axle, but a few manufacturers make them for fox body mustangs (example BMR part bk074)  I'm wondering if it'd be possible to make an adapter bushing for them to fit the Roadmonster.
Does anyone have a measurement of the bore of the holes in the axle housing & the thickness of the "ears"  the holes are in?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 1:17 am

I talked to UMI tech last week and they recommended their standard lower control arms for a car driven in the winter. I reordered a set of their stock length LCAs. Just FYI.

I would just use a rubber bushing in the axle, but that's me. If you do end up using the roto-joints on the lowers, you should be fine with the poly bushings you ordered. If you need to borrow the tool to remove it, you can for the cost of shipping to and from me (if I can find it).

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 am

From what I have experienced with poly bushings, is once they are lubed, the will not squeak. The poly bushings will ride a little more harshly than the rubber ones, because they are a harder material. From what I understand, Canada has fairly rough roads, and the compliance of the rubber bushings may be more desirable under those conditions. Just remember to tighten the bushings with the weight on the wheels (normal ride height). Otherwise the rubber in the bushings will be stressed, and their life will be a lot shorter.

Spherical bearings are less compliant than rubber/poly bushings, and will make your ride more harsh.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 am

Race car suspension is a package deal, adding bits and pieces here and there makes little to no difference a lot of times .
As has been mentioned running hard race style suspension on the street makes for a bone jarring miserable ride, if the car is a daily driver it becomes very tiresome in short order.

Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 12:27 pm

I've had good luck using boxed LCAs with a rear swaybar and keeping the stock uppers with new rubber bushings on my cars.  The stock uppers still allow a bit of flex.  I haven`t had binding. I would go for the roto-joint LCAs if I lived in the USA, or if I were permanently stationed on Vancouver Island.
Back to top Go down
Big Jack

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 am

Sorry for rambling in my original post, it seams my question was misinterpreted.
Does anyone know the 2 dimensions in the photo?
Axle Bushings  Rear_axle_zpsxq3mafep
Axle Bushings  Rear%20axle%20eye_zpsyzjd9m0y
Back to top Go down
Big Jack

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 am

The differential bushings for G Body axles (Moog 6178) are the same OD, larger ID & narrower than the B body's (Moog 6111).
I'll make up some spacers & use UMI 2999 Roto-Joints for G-Body.

Axle Bushings  Capture_zps4bx1vnh0
Axle Bushings  Capture3_zpszuwgosip
Axle Bushings  Capture2_zpsyumhzkqj

www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Moog_rubber_bushing_cross_reference.pd
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Good luck. Hope it works out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Axle Bushings  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Bushings    Axle Bushings  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Axle Bushings
Page 1 of 1