GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE

Go down 
+5
81X11
Fred Kiehl
RedandBlack
94Woody
1993 Roady-man
9 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Empty
PostSubject: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 3:04 pm

So I was driving all over Central Texas yarding on Friday trying to locate a reverse light pigtail and socket for the 92 Roadmaster Sedan refurbishment, and noticed the UGLIEST Caprice I'd seen lately at Austin Wrench-A-Part. On getting closer. I noticed the one-inch of Bondo on the rear bumper for "blending" an Impala spoiler, which was gone. Looking closer, I pulled the rear wheel off, and HEY, disc brake rear! I "think" this poor car started life as a real Impala! Dang!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ANYWAY the car is very stripped, and the inside was full of junk, but when I walked around the front the intake filter "cage" caught my eye... I recognized it...FIPK K&N, same thing I have on my '96 Roady Wagon...

I figure it's just the cage, but go dig around inside the car anyway...

And SCORE, it's all there.

It's nasty/dirty and has GREEN overspray on it, but the tube is fine, all the rubber grommets and clamps were in the car, and even the filters. I HATE oiled-filters, so I left the big K&N cone, but did nab the little vent filter. I'm guessing because it looked so crappy that nobody realized what this was.

These things list at $300 now! Crazy!

I paid $20 for everything, including the Roadmaster sedan reverse-light wiring pigtail, which was the actual reason I was there! Ha!

I'm going to clean/paint/restore the setup and send it to my buddy Ben in New Jersey for his 94 Roady wagon. Neat score!

Oh if anyone does one of these, you will want to order this DRY filter. No oiling needed, just wash and let dry!: AEM 21-206DK

Here's the one in my car now.

I LOVE Salvage Yarding!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Nice score
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm

There is something very addictive about being in a scrap yard.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 pm

The Impala SS was not the only B Body to come with rear discs.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 pm

94Woody wrote:

Right, the 9C1 had them too from what I understand.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Nice find.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 7:54 am

You should have grabbed the brakes all the way to the backing plate. They can be fitted to a non disk brake rear with a little massaging.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You should have grabbed the brakes all the way to the backing plate. They can be fitted to a non disk brake rear with a little massaging.

Didn't know that Fred. Would be a fun mod for sure!
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Yeah, on the sedan they'll bolt right up. Make sure you grab the little brackets for the brake hoses off the rear end... and ALL of the parking brake hardware (it's inside the disc).

On the wagon you have to do some massaging and light machine work, but nothing too excessive. I went into it on another thread here that unfortunately had to be deleted... I can find the photos I have though if you ever do it. They're on my wagon right now.

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

81X11 wrote:
94Woody wrote:

Could also get them on a B4U civilian car Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 3:19 pm

I would have yanked this rear axle but thought it was too wide for the Roady Sedan.

Here are the refurbishment pics of the intake. Re-did this to sent to my buddy Ben Randazzo in New Jersey for his continued fun with Silverfox's blue 94 wagon.

Intake tube cleaned and painted Satin Black

Green-overspray scrubbed off rubber seals, clamps, and vent filter. New K&N decal waiting to be added to intake tube.

New K&N decal waiting to be added to intake tube

Air Filter Cage cleaned, lightly sanded, and painted with Frame and Chassis Black spray paint.

Overspray-covered parts now all cleaned and looking good.

New Decal added to freshly-painted K&N FIPK intake tube

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 3:21 pm

So now you're going to yank it? Wait...that doesnt sound right... Embarassed Its really none of my business.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Time to go back! That thing is worth grabbing for your RMW.

Get the rear axle from disc to disc and the rear section of the parking brake cable. It fits right onto yours, just as I did with my wagon. Take pics of how it's routed and it's really not that hard to do the whole swap.

And knowing you, you'll paint the thing while it's out anyway, so it'll be great.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah the rear ends sell for decent money.

Also I have that same K&N set up and when I put it on my car I lost almost 3MPG on a 800 mile trip. put the stock setup back on and got my 3mpg right back. this was on my 94 RMW Dusty. I really should sell it as I'll never use it again.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 8:40 pm

81X11 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

Didn't know that Fred.   Would be a fun mod for sure!

I had the end of my wagon housing machined for the smaller backing plates from a sedan axle. You then need a 1/4" spacer under the brake rotor.

RedandBlack wrote:
Time to go back! That thing is worth grabbing for your RMW.

Get the rear axle from disc to disc and the rear section of the parking brake cable. It fits right onto yours, just as I did with my wagon. Take pics of how it's routed and it's really not that hard to do the whole swap.

And knowing you, you'll paint the thing while it's out anyway, so it'll be great.

The spring pockets will not line up with the wagon and the lower control arms will be at a greater angle. Several people have done it anyway and it does work. As for the parking brake cables, hydraulic lines, mounting piece parts, etc. Bill Harper makes the lines in stainless to convert the wagon to disk.

Sprocket wrote:

$150-300 ish??!! Not easy to sell these.

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 pm

81X11 wrote:
94Woody wrote:

A 9C1 should have had an engine (oil) cooler.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 10:46 am

Sprocket wrote:

Also I have that same K&N set up and when I put it on my car I lost almost 3MPG on a 800 mile trip.  put the stock setup back on and got my 3mpg right back.  this was on my 94 RMW Dusty.   I really should sell it as I'll never use it again.

I find it highly unlikely the sole addition of this intake setup decreased your mileage by 12-15%. I'm not saying your MPG didn't drop on that trip, it just seems to me there would be some other factor at play.

Nice score Mike. The filter you put on seems small though.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 12:17 am

11/4/17 - Ben finally got the K&N intake I refurbished installed today. Looks good Ben Randazzo!!! I really like your Blue Whale!!

He's still working on details, had to remove the home-plate mount and get some shorter hose clamps. Coming along!

Ben also installed the really REALLY nice grill I found at the salvage yard up in Belton too.

I'm glad he's working on and enjoying Silverfox's blue whale!

-Michael
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE   K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

K&N FIPK LT1 Salvage Yard SCORE
Page 1 of 1