GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

power vent windows

Go down 
+10
Gastt
1993 Roady-man
BigWagon
81X11
lakeffect
92 Woody Wagon
93wgn
lornejay1
IMPALADAKID
buickestate
14 posters
AuthorMessage
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 7:06 pm

power vent windows ?action=view&current=2-2

________________________________________________________________________________

It all started back when I first bought my 91 RMW, it was annoying not having power vent windows. I soon found out that it wasn't just my wagon, that GM never put power vent windows on these wagons........

Being the 78-83 Malibu guy that I am, I was in a salvage yard in Windsor Ontario about five years ago when I happened upon a fully loaded 1980 malibu classic sedan. It had rear power vent windows. I had to see how GM accomplished this some 11 years before my 91 was built. I thus began to take the vent window power assembly out of this old and abused 1980 malibu sedan. took them home in my 91 wagon. then placed them on the shelf in my garage for the better part of five years now, since the 91 lost it's rear vent windows I'm thinking that my 93 could use them.

I pulled the power vent window motors/assembly off the shelf and finally studied them and took apart the interior panels on my 93 and began to test fit and see if it could work.
after 40 minutes of work you can see what I've accomplished in the video in the first post in this thread.

power vent windows Powervent1
this is the power vent window unit out of a 78-80 malibu/lemans sedan. as you can see the actual motor drives a long flexible shaft that allows it to be remotely mounted inside the lower quaters. the latch(lack of a better word) is mounted to the "D" pillar isn't much bigger than the manual latch it replaces.
power vent windows Powervent4
this is the power latch protion of the assembly.
power vent windows Powervent2
this is how it looks mounted inside the car, clean enough but you know I'm going to clean it up and make it look OEM.
power vent windows Powerlatch
I find that the windows are now more solidly mounted, then they were with the maual latch. I found them loose and they would rattle over rough roads when open, but not anymore....

I've not yet wired them in, I've only just mounted the assembly in place. they do seem to work fine when I direct powered them off the battery. I will mount the switches in my console infront of the shifter.

_________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________power vent windows Ventmotor

power vent windows Powervent3

Last edited by buickestate on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 7:11 pm

here are the vent window switches mounted in the consol, they came out of a 93 riviera. I modified the blank plate in my console (an olds 88LSS) to mate up with the riv's window switches. I feel it's a very clean OEM look...
power vent windows Ventswitches1
power vent windows Ventswitches2
power vent windows Ventswitches3

____________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by buickestate on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 7:22 pm

I love it Pat. This car is not just going to be a wagon with a sedan nose on it. And I bet it will look like gm built it that way.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:01 pm

pat can you see about making power Mud Flaps for protection but hide away for shows. Just for ocd guys, I can probably find a market for them Question
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:46 pm

lornejay1 wrote:
pat can you see about making power Mud Flaps for protection but hide away for shows. Just for ocd guys, I can probably find a market for them Question

How many sets do you think Frank would want? Shocked Suspect lol!
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Lorne would not a tape dispenser in side the rear side pocket be better suited for OCD members?
Back to top Go down
92 Woody Wagon

92 Woody Wagon

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:54 am

That is so cool, why didn't GM do that from the factory?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ClarkGriswold
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 4:02 pm

92 Woody Wagon wrote:
That is so cool, why didn't GM do that from the factory?

I don't know GM never put them into production, there are rumours of one or two wagons with them. Darius claims to have seen a 92 CC in a salvage yard that had them....

but in your 92 woody power fents would be out of place since you have them rare armstrong manual windows on all four doors! I thought that was so cool when I seen that!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Just bumped this one up since it was talked about alot at wagonfest09,
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm

buickestate wrote:
Lorne would not a tape dispenser in side the rear side pocket be better suited for OCD members?

You might be on to something Pat, By the way I loved the flame joke on the other forum bounce

power vent windows 736_21

I found my own way to keep the bugs off

power vent windows LORNE427
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 2:43 pm

lornejay1 wrote:
I loved the flame joke on the other forum bounce

At least it did not leave you cold and stiff like your passengers....
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 8:38 am

Hey Pat can you restore all the links to the photos? Everything has been removed as of 10/18/2010 Did you change hosting services?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 pm

I'd love to see the pics too. And I sure wish my car had those!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 11:56 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Hey Pat can you restore all the links to the photos? Everything has been removed as of 10/18/2010 Did you change hosting services?

I moved pictures around in my photo bucket account sorry
Back to top Go down

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 am

That's SO COOL!

I'd never be able to pull it off though, even if I had the motors. Sad
Back to top Go down
BigWagon

BigWagon

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Awesome idea! Please be sure to post pictures of the final result.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 1:23 pm

it was completed in 2009, and won best mod at wagonfest 09

power vent windows DSC01122

power vent windows DSC01118
Back to top Go down

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Wait,manual windows in a RMW now thats something of a rarity isnt it?When I was a kid we had a
73 Country Squire wagon and it had manual windows with power front vent windows and a power
back window.Dad bought it off the lot brand new that way and I always thought it was strange to this day.Pat your wagon is a real piece of art brought back from the rusty dead by a true artists
hand and any mods you do to it are sure to only make it more unique and special.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 pm

hey Pat is the wagon still looking good? it's been 2 years since I seen it.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 pm

power vent windows DSC01597
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 am

Yup looks good.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 am

Ouch....
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 pm

81X11 wrote:
Ouch....

what? did you injuryourself?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 pm

buickestate wrote:
81X11 wrote:
Ouch....

what? did you injuryourself?

Yep I fell of my chair when I saw your pic...
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:16 pm

My Son's friend owns this 84 cutlass,and look what option it has.

Two switches on the drivers door,and I assume the back door switch also controls them.

power vent windows Photo_zps59065004

power vent windows Photo_zps4c313c7a

It is an odd duck for options,full gauge package,yet no tilt wheel.

Air condition,rare for here back then,but no rear defrost.

power vent windows Photo_zpsec5f0ede

Dollar store mirror.

power vent windows Photo_zps65ba8a69

Not sure if Shanahan has any significance,it isn't any dealership I have heard of,but O.Learys is the dealer.

power vent windows Photo_zpsd3b00f01

I just wanted to show how they open,not the same way Pat has his hooked up.

I am grabbing them,I know someone on here will want them when that day comes.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Nice clean car! Weird to see a Brougham with no Sport mirrors or tilt.

The power vents are funny. Nice clean car...it's begging for painted or chrome Olds SSII wheels.

Thanks for posting! Love G-bodies!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm

81X11 wrote:

Nice clean car...it's begging for painted or chrome Olds SSII wheels.

-Mike

I hear you Mike,but this 19 yer old has a MINT MINT 77 Bandit Trans Am,this is his winter beater.

Alberta has been good to them.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm

lornejay1 wrote:
81X11 wrote:

Nice clean car...it's begging for painted or chrome Olds SSII wheels.

-Mike

I hear you Mike,but this 19 yer old has a MINT MINT 77 Bandit Trans Am,this is his winter beater.

Alberta has been good to them.

Heck of a nice winter beater!
Back to top Go down

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm

If this kids beater is this nice,Mike you have met your match buddy.This kid can keep his snow car this nice needs to write a book about how to detail in the winter.I would bet money that this car had never seen snow!
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 am

Wash 2-3 times a week. That's how you do it lol.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:54 am

Well Hot diggity.  It appears that power rear quarter vent windows were indeed produced as a Police pack option for the Chevy Caprice only!  See PDF link below.  It is listed as a standard feature.  I have been gathering parts for a while to do the mod.  The only thing I am still on the hunt for is the elusive motors from the early 80's donor car that had the power vents.  I have the switches for front and the 3rd seat area along with a large array of window latch arraignments from various cars to ensure I will have the proper "reach" for when I go to install the motors.  It of course would be ideal to one day find a wagon with the set up already but I bet the chances are very, very rare that a wagon like that will pop up in my area.

http://ex-vtc.gotdns.com/downloads/brochures/92_1a2.pdf
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 1:11 pm

I'd be surprised if that's actually true. Perhaps the marketing literature wound up not matching reality?

Doesn't make sense to spend time engineering/tooling/sourcing all the special components for that and not offering it on any other wagon variant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
phantom 309

phantom 309

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Quote :
This catalog is not updated during the
model year and should not be used for
ordering purposes. It is intended as a
source of basic information. All illustra-
tions and specifications in this literature
are based on the latest product informa-
tion available at the time of publication.
The right is reserved to make changes
at any time without notice. For further
details, consul your local Chevrolet dealer
or the branch office covering your area.

I,ve only had 94 and 95 1a2's,(no tbi cars,.). never seen this option ever,.
i think it's urban legend.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Went through the labor to remove a Chrysler set from a 91 Mini Van.  They have the long 2 foot (3 feet on passenger side) cable to drive the regulators so the motors could be safely attached in the wells behind wheels.  They are now ruled out though.  The distance from mount position to hole in window is off by inches.  There is not a feasible way to shorten the stem distance on the regulators.  I am getting closer.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 4:30 pm

i have a set of vent window mtrs out of a pontiac g body wagon but they are driven from a rod not a cable
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 am

Yes. The rear doors vent windows had the option for power, but those are on a short cable or rod and push/pull the door vent window open or closed from the interior of the door panel. For the rear quarter windows in our wagons, we need a longer cable style so the motors can be concealed down behind the side wells. I looked at those g body motors in a yard and found they just would not work.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 pm

i have a jy that might have the mtrs but they are asking if i have a pic and if it is the little window on the door or the window on the quarter. these are the mtrs for the little window on the door is this correct? i can grab a pic of the car from auto trader or something like that. thanks for any help
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 2:44 am

Mtrhead....

The motors to do the power vent windows for our wagons come from the rear quarter windows. Not the wing vent window in the rear door. The motors are identical but the rear quarter set up has a very long cable. I may have located a set and am going to attempt the mod. If you ever find some, nab them as they are very rare at this point.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:37 pm

thanks for info, i thought that was right . i have been looking for yrs. this jy on line said they might have them we will see
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

power vent windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vent windows   power vent windows Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

power vent windows
Page 1 of 1