GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Manual windows to power windows :)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SmokuPL

Manual windows to power windows :) Empty
PostSubject: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello guys,
I wan't to change my manual windows in my '91 super poor Caprice to power ones and I have a few questions. Does regulators are the same? Becouse I can only find motors for power windows, not regulators. Also if regulators are different does they fit from a different GM cars? I live in Poland, we have some Caprice's but parts like that are hard to find, and when they come up the price for them is killer. Another question is, if I have manual windows there is a chance that either way I'll have harness for power windows in my doors? Thanks from top for every answer Smile
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Regulators are different.

If you wanted window motors with regulators I have all four in working order. $40 each plus shipping.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Replied on ISSF.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 10:08 am

Jarrod, I need drivers side rear for the Caprice.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 am

If he does not want to separate them, I can pick one tomorrow for the same price.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 10:35 am

See thumbs up here...
Back to top Go down
SmokuPL

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks guys for your answers, espetially thanks to Fred for so much info answer on ISSF Smile Now I know almost everything. One more question. If I'll find a doner car and pick up, for now, only front regulators, motor etc. Will it work if doner have 4 power windows? Or the harness goes for all 4 windows and it's splits in the middle of car or something Smile

OT: Another question, I bought a DVR with rearview camera that is mounted on the mirror, but Caprice mirror is a bit too big. Do you know any mirrors from other GMs that will go plug'n'play with Caprice?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 pm

If the mirror is just a simple mirror, almost any with the same base (puck on the glass) will fit. Just make sure it is the set screw type. The metal clip type are difficult to remove. If it is electric, it may be necessary to splice in a compatible connector.

The harness is one piece for all 4 doors. If you only hook up the fronts, they will work fine. Run the extra wire in the back doors, and when you decide to do the rears, you can just hook them up. You must have the individual switches in each door hooked up for the regulator in that door to work.
Back to top Go down
SmokuPL

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Thank you! It's just a regular mirror Smile Now I hope that guy with power windows will sell me the whole set of harness Wink
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 2:00 pm

The harness is one piece and plugs into the firewall harness at the bottom of the driver's side of the A pillar. It may also have a connector at the bottom of the passenger's side A pillar. It goes under the seats, and into all four doors through the conduits. Make sure the firewall connector it plugs into has the wiring to power the windows.

Remember that you need the door panels with switches. If you still need any small parts, they are not crazy expensive to ship.
Back to top Go down
SmokuPL

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Previous owner of my Caprice gave me a box with few parts, including switches for power windows. And also I said the guy with doner car that I'll take full set, so doors panels, switches, motors, regulators and harness Smile

I am thinking of starting a thread in 'members projects', I have so many questions to ask and so many plans for my car ;P
Back to top Go down
SmokuPL

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Hello again Smile I've just received a power windows set for front and back with front door panels and whole harness Smile So I have a question about wiring. Does anyone have diagram for wiring power windows? Or is there stock socket that I just plug-in the harness? Another question is about door panels. Does anyone changed the rag material on door panels?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Usually the noise insulator in the panels is missing. I keep the old one in the panel unless I am repairing it.

You do not need a wiring diagram to install the harness. It should have the wires in the only possible position when installed. There is a connector by the driver's side A pillar, and it goes back, and across under the seats. There will be a pigtail going to each door, and there is a connector near the passenger's side A pillar as well. The wiring in the doors is pretty much self explanatory. All connectors in a door are different, so you can not hook it up incorrectly. Keep the wiring in the doors away from the regulators.
Back to top Go down
SmokuPL

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 4:14 am

Thank you for answer! Smile I have the noise insulator with the 'new'ones as well Smile I'll install power windows this week cheers
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 am

The harness that is in the car now will have a few of the connectors that the power window harness has, and you can follow the similar ones to the proper locations. The wires are taped to the door side of the "door to body" conduits/boots, so when you remove the old wiring, you must cut the tape to get the wires out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manual windows to power windows :)   Manual windows to power windows :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manual windows to power windows :)
Page 1 of 1