GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandt51

Brandt51

Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Empty
PostSubject: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 am

Howdy,

My driver's side rear door fly away sail panel is starting to separate. Could I just clean out some of that old adhesive and shoot some RTV ultra black in there and clamp it to resecure that sail panel? The lower part of it seems solid.

Here's a quick pick. Thanks!Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Img_6410
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 6:50 am

I've seen some people use windshield urethane with great success. I feel like that would be stronger than RTV, but you're probably better off just removing the whole thing to clean the old stuff off the body itself.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 am

I agree with removing it and cleaning under it. The goo that under it will not promote adhesion, and you will be back where you started in short order. Window adhesive is the way to go. Do not worry about the pins, they are just glued to the panel, and usually pull off when removing it. Keep the end fasteners on the panel for alignment.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 am

3M Plastic & Trim adhesive will make a permanent repair. Works on rub strips too.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 am

Glue it all the way around the outside, so that water does not get under it.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 11:10 am

Good deal, thank you so much for the advice. I'm due to get the wood re-wrapped soon, I'll see about doing it then.

Great forum, very helpful folks here. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 pm

So...the thing flew off the other day. FML. I was going to fix it that week too. I got a new panel already from BuickNut. That dude is legit.

So to install it, I'll just need to clean off all the old dried up RTV, make sure the holes are open for alignment and apply windshield adhesive to the edge and clamp it on? I'd use masking tape to make sure any excessive adhesive doesn't go where it's not supposed to. Does this sound like a good method?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 pm

It is not RTV, it is butyl. The top and bottom fasteners align the part.

Keep the wedges that are toward the bottom.

Make sure that water does not leak in the square holes.

Use the prep for the urethane on both parts before applying the urethane.

The tape is a really good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question   Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sail Panel Securing Adhesive Question
Page 1 of 1