GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RMW "Sail Panel" Removal

Go down 
+3
81X11
silverfox103
sherlock9c1
7 posters
AuthorMessage

RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Empty
PostSubject: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I have a '94 Roadmaster Wagon and the paint is flaking off of the plastic sail panels on the rear doors and in front of the quarter glass. I appreciate any removal and re-installation tips. I want to remove and repaint them.
Thanks,
Bob
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Two phillips head screws on the backside, one on the top, one on the bottom. Then gently pry it right off. I would recommend you use windshield urethane adhesive to secure it back on. It will become permanently part of the door after this, but you will never have to worry about it blowing off.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:02 am

Do not pry them off! Remove the 2 screws and then pull them away from the door (towards the rear fender, so to speak). If you pry them off, you will snap off the fingers that lock in. You don not want to do that. For the ones on the quarter glass pull them towards the door.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks for the replies. Is there an adhesive helping hold them in place? I had removed the screws and it seemed as if there was something else holding them.
Bob
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 7:52 am

There are 2 spots that adhesive is used, just a small circular area. Roughly, down about 4 inches from the top and up about 4 inches from the bottom. Later on this PM I will take a picture.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:54 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Do not pry them off! Remove the 2 screws and then pull them away from the door (towards the rear fender, so to speak). If you pry them off, you will snap off the fingers that lock in. You don not want to do that. For the ones on the quarter glass pull them towards the door.

Tom C.

Better yet, go to the salvage yard and practice on a car there before breaking your own car....my 2-cents!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Joel was correct, gently pry off the sail panels on the door. The sail panels on the rear quarter have the fingers that you do not want to break.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 5:42 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
There are 2 spots that adhesive is used, just a small circular area. Roughly, down about 4 inches from the top and up about 4 inches from the bottom. Later on this PM I will take a picture.

Tom C.

Thank you Tom.
Pictures will be great!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 am

On the door panels when I took mine off to repaint them, I popped out a couple of the long white round tabs but just re-expoxied them into the sockets for a firm grip upon reinstall. Also, I cleaned off the crumbling padding and bought fresh wheatherstriping from home depot that matched the thickness and packed it on the panels so it had the same firmness when reapplied.

I had no luck finding windshield urethane like in the old days, everything is silicone now but I swear by urethane adhesive. I ended up buying a tube of roofing urethane as it is strong adhesive and completely weatherproof.
Back to top Go down
4lights

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:56 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
I would recommend you use windshield urethane adhesive to secure it back on. It will become permanently part of the door after this, but you will never have to worry about it blowing off.

bob smith wrote:
silverfox103 wrote:

Tom C.

Thank you Tom.
Pictures will be great!

Wagoninabox wrote:
On the door panels when I took mine off to repaint them, I popped out a couple of the long white round tabs but just re-expoxied them into the sockets for a firm grip upon reinstall. Also, I cleaned off the crumbling padding and bought fresh wheatherstriping from home depot that matched the thickness and packed it on the panels so it had the same firmness when reapplied.

I had no luck finding windshield urethane like in the old days, everything is silicone now but I swear by urethane adhesive. I ended up buying a tube of roofing urethane as it is strong adhesive and completely weatherproof.

Elsewhere, Fred Kiehl recommended windshield urethane for both reattaching the pins and for gluing the panel to the door.
What are the trade-offs? I'm a bit afreaid of "It will become permanently part of the door after this", and I don't know where to buy windshield urethane locally.
HD should have roofing urethane , right? How about that or JB Weld for reattachign the pins?

I would be interested in seeing where the adhesive is actually supposed to be used.
On the one I just took off a door, the goopy stringy stuff used as adhesive was used in two stripes top to bottom, and also on the back of a black plastic strip running along half the length of one of those good stripes (so the goop held the strip to the panel, and was also gooped over to goop the assembly to the door).

Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 3:19 am

Don't know what the factory adhesive was but a quality urethane is a great substitute. I ran long thick beads down the edges and some big circles mid way and applied the pieces back on firmly. They have been sealed tight since. If need be, these can be taken off again but most likely a little tougher than factory applied and that is what we need as with time and prior removal, the trim piece on the door can fall off or "fly away" as these pieces are often refered.

JB Weld might work to reattach any of the long plastic pins on the back of the door panel if they need to be reattached before replacing on the door. I used epoxy with success.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:08 am

You can get windshied urethane at Autozone, but it is expensive. About $22 per tube.

Do not use JB Weld.

The panel becoming one with the door is not a bad thing. The only issue with the trim is that it blows off while driving.

You can always paint it in place, if it ever needs repainting again.

You do not have to reattach the round T pins. The end fasteners align the part.

The strips along the lower sides of the panel are there for support, reinstall them.

Clean the door side of the trim, so that it is sanitary before reassembly.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 6:36 pm

81X11 wrote:
Better yet, go to the salvage yard and practice on a car there before breaking your own car....my 2-cents!

I have yet to find an RMW in a yard around these parts that has the sail panels attached. I think Fred Kiehl beats me to them ever time! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMW "Sail Panel" Removal   RMW "Sail Panel" Removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RMW "Sail Panel" Removal
Page 1 of 1