GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Love this car in the snow.

Go down 
+3
sherlock9c1
Andebe
81X11
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Love this car in the snow. Empty
PostSubject: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 am

3TONFUN rocks in the snow. We got hit pretty hard with a storm all day yesterday. After I punched out I loaded some old brake rotors (probably 250 lbs) in the back on the floor and headed out. The combo of the extra weight and BFG All Terrains turn this car into an unstoppable force to be reckoned with...that is until it's time to actually stop. Then it is stoppable. It tracks straight going and stopping. I tell people I'd put it against almost any 4wd truck in the snow. Who else loves their wagon in the snow?

My sedan on the other hand...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 am

Crying or Very sad

Love this car in the snow. Presti11
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

BFG All Terrains? Bet thats a sight to see.Love this car in the snow. 4x4roa11
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 am

That does look kinda fun. What a Face
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:36 am

I actually stopped putting snow tires on my old wagon in the winter because with them it gripped so good that it was almost impossible to hang the tail out.

Do remember to pull your ABS fuse prior to doing drifts and donuts in the snow because you'll give the unit quite a workout if you don't!

My biggest struggle was always keeping the rear brake self adjusters working properly. Without rear brakes these cars are hard to stop in the snow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 11:46 am

235/75-15 on stock steel wheels. Cargo coils in the back. I've seriously thought of adding an inch or two up front.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Got 50 cm over the last 2 days. F that. Even with great snow tires, these cars are ok in the snow at best. Truetrac diff definitely helps.

I was REALLY happy to have the AWD CTS wagon yesterday.

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Jason,I had to Google that conversion for Yankee speak. 19 plus inches...Yikes. No
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 pm

I drove my first two wagons (with four Winterforce snows and posi rear ends) in NY and NH winters.  While I was never stuck, in my experience these wagons generate less traction compared to many modern FWD or AWD cars with four snows. With respect to control, steering, and obstacle avoidance they can't hold a candle to a car with dynamic traction and stability control.

I love my whale, but it stays inside in winter.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 am

I think some of us on here are so "blinded by love" we make outrageous claims like,"drives as good as any German AWD sedan." and "plows like a tank." I love these cars,God knows I do,but I cant help to wonder what are these guys smoking? scratch drunken What a Face
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Seven years ago in Syracuse, NY.

Love this car in the snow. 163756_10150126925198969_6232846_n
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Light dusting of lake effect snow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am

A guy yesterday in Michigan's thumb was 'blinded by love' when I pulled his 4x4 Chevy out of a snow-filled ditch on a back country road with 3TONFUN. Yeah, this thing really sucks in the snow.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:23 am

I don't think anyone said they suck in snow. I'm sure you'd agree that forward traction is not all there is to staying on the road. If it were, the guy who managed to drive into a ditch with a 4X4 Chevy wouldn't be there.

The best vehicle I ever owned for traction was a 1965 VW Beetle. Trouble was, it just went forward in a straight line, and had a mind of it's own when it came to steering on snow.

I'll stand by my earlier comments. There's less-than-good, good, better, and best. I'd put these wagons with snow tires and some weight at the upper end of the good category, but I'm willing to concede that the margins of the categories are largely a matter of opinion.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 am

dmg4 wrote:
I don't think anyone said they suck in snow.  I'm sure you'd agree that forward traction is not all there is to staying on the road.  If it were, the guy who managed to drive into a ditch with a 4X4 Chevy wouldn't be there.

The best vehicle I ever owned for traction was a 1965 VW Beetle.  Trouble was, it just went forward in a straight line, and had a mind of it's own when it came to steering on snow.

I'll stand by my earlier comments.  There's less-than-good, good, better, and best.  I'd put these wagons with snow tires and some weight at the upper end of the good category, but I'm willing to concede that the margins of the categories are largely a matter of opinion.

It sounds like my Corvair was a lot like your Beetle.
It would go through the snow easily, but with more than 5 inches of snow on the road, it was "on plane", riding on the top of the snow up front.
When you tried to turn, it would just keep on going straight ahead. That made for some exciting intersection maneuvers!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 11:08 am

FWIW,currently running 235/75/15 snow tires on Pontiac Rallyes for the Roady. Its strictly back up duty only. I will let the AWD Saab do the dirty work.  Love this car in the snow. Rallye10
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 pm

2nd gear start is pretty much a requirement for my use.
Back to top Go down
CBurne7

CBurne7

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am

Been driving my wagon for 2 weeks and got some snow here in Baltimore while driving back from my in-laws house. I saw a parking lot with snow tracks in it where someone was obviously having some fun and my wife asked me... "you want to do doughnuts don't you...?"

My response was:

Back to top Go down
http://www.bomb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love this car in the snow.   Love this car in the snow. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Love this car in the snow.
Page 1 of 1