GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc

Go down 
+6
dmg4
RedandBlack
Fred Kiehl
jasonlachapelle
Garrett Crozier
wagondan96
10 posters
AuthorMessage
wagondan96

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Empty
PostSubject: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi all -

My wagon burned to a crisp this winter, ironically while in storage in a safe, heated garage. Read more here:
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t13131-new-member-96-dcm-caprice-wagon#145997

Now I'm in repair mode. I've got the car with a paint and body guy, friend of a friend, real old school and knows his stuff. He's been junkyard picking for me but we are in need of a few more items so I figured I'd ask around here.

NEED:
- Roof Rail side bars, ones that sit on the edges of the roof. Both sides needed. Must fit a 96 (not sure RMW ones will fit)
- Rear horizontal trim piece that sits above the rear hatch glass
- Roof rack cross bars (sorry 3TONFUN, I burned yours  Embarassed)
- Rear hatch glass hinges (driver's side is needed, would take both sides if you have them)
- Tailgate glass wiper fluid squirter
- 1996 side mirrors - both sides
- DCM Impala grille (hood is being reworked, finally plugging ornament hole, getting rid of chrome grille while i'm there)

We should be okay without the rubber strips that run the length of the roof in the center. My body guy said he can make those up himself out of replacement rubber trim. But, if you have any, let me know.

I'm attaching a photo to try and highlight some of the pieces I'm talking about.

If anyone has any "hot" leads on the above parts, please let me know! Your help is greatly appreciated and you'll be responsible for getting a sweet DCM LT1/T56/4.10 gear BEAST back on the road. Very Happy

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Wagondan96-albums-96-dcm-picture21082-parts-highlighted
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 6:41 pm

There is a 92 wagon in my local yard that many of the roof parts would fit. However, I will be out of town for at least a week, and hopefully other guys on here can help in a more timely manner. I will touch base with you when I get back and see what you still need, if anything. Glad to hear it will be saved.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 7:33 pm

I have a new in box GM OEM driver side mirror. PN 10231121. $200 shipped

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I have both mirrors $80 paint to match, and a pair of hinges $45. I can get the roof rack parts from a 94 Caprice $TBD. I may have a compete rear wiper arm with hose and nozzle $60. The shipping for the rack parts will be a little expensive because of their length.

The Buick parts will not fit.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 4:55 am

Now would be the time to delete the roof rack Wink

Good luck hunting. I filled the holes of my center ribs when I painted my car and it looks good. Wish I would have deleted the whole rack when I was up there.... hindsight is always 20/20.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 2:55 pm

RedandBlack wrote:
Now would be the time to delete the roof rack Wink

Good luck hunting. I filled the holes of my center ribs when I painted my car and it looks good. Wish I would have deleted the whole rack when I was up there.... hindsight is always 20/20.

good point!
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 8:35 am

I have the twin of your car, and if it ever goes through the broiler, I'd think seriously about deleting the entire roof rack.  By the time you source, buy, ship, paint, and reinstall the required parts; the delete and repaint is possibly a wash in cost.  The only drawback is that you'd affect the resale as a stock model for a collector.  But, as I plan to be buried in mine, I don't give a hoot about the value of the car to my estate.

Plugging all those holes would also eliminate a principle source of water intrusion and rust, which can afflict these cars even when they are not driven in winter.

It's worth saving.  There were just over 600 1996 Caprice made. By comparison the 1967 GT 500 Mustang is common (over 2000 made).
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 2:07 pm

I WILL run down to Wrench-A-Part here in Austin this weekend and see if this car is still there:

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc 27336712
FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc 27337212
FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc 27459112
FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc 27752512

HOW does the rack come off?   Anyone want to give me a quick tutorial?   I want to help here.   Seeing that car roasted was painful...

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 2:09 pm

I KNEW I should have grabbed that grill... Don't hold your breath on that still being there, but I bet the roof-rack is if the CAR still is.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Wow thanks all - the response is overwhelming. I appreciate it.

Roof rack delete is not in my vocabulary - ALL practicality - ALL the time Smile

I will send some PMs and get back to you.

Mike - please let me know what you find this weekend, depending on what the '94 has (from Fred) I could likely use the parts.

Appreciate y'all
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm

The burgundy 94 above is sadly gone from Austin Wrench-A-Part, but there are three Caprice Wagons at Pick-N-Pull in San Antonio right now.

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc 31960510
FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc 32116710

My friend Jay was down there this weekend and took those pics. The yard is on Applewhite Rd.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 2:04 am

Hi Mike - if you can grab any/all of the following from a CHEVY wagon, I am still in need of all.

- Roof Rail side bars, ones that sit on the edges of the roof, both sides
- Roof rack cross bars

I know you were looking for help to see how to pull those - can anyone give any pointers here?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 2:54 pm

wagondan96 wrote:
Hi Mike - if you can grab any/all of the following from a CHEVY wagon, I am still in need of all.

- Roof Rail side bars, ones that sit on the edges of the roof, both sides
- Roof rack cross bars

I know you were looking for help to see how to pull those - can anyone give any pointers here?

I may be able to do a San Antonio run in a few weeks, but I know that Pick-N-Pull has parts pullers down there now. You may want to call and see if they can ship. That place is about 90 miles from me.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
sjb6741

sjb6741

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Will 1991 fit yours?

Caprice here in Richmond, VA

I can pull if needed.
Back to top Go down
sjb6741

sjb6741

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 5:10 pm

PULLED:
- Roof Rail side bars, ones that sit on the edges of the roof. Both sides pulled. May fit a 96, off a 91 Caprice.
- Roof rack cross bars
- Rear hatch glass hinges (driver's side is needed, would take both sides if you have them)
- Five rubber roof strips
- Tailgate glass wiper motor

The yard charged me $12 for everything but the motor, that was another $17 plus $6 tax&env fees.

I'll have to get shipping charges for you. PM me your address if you want all of this.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 6:17 pm

All of that will fit his '96 if it came off of a Caprice.

Sounds like you've got exactly what he needs. Way to be a legend.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 12:40 am

sjb6741 wrote:
PULLED:
- Roof Rail side bars, ones that sit on the edges of the roof. Both sides pulled. May fit a 96, off a 91 Caprice.
- Roof rack cross bars
- Five rubber roof strips
- Tailgate glass wiper motor

The yard charged me $12 for everything but the motor, that was another $17 plus $6 tax&env fees.

I'll have to get shipping charges for you.  PM me your address if you want all of this.

You got that stuff cheap. I wish I could get those prices on the stuff I pick.
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 2:51 am

sjb6741 - Indeed, you're a legend. thanks so much, will PM you
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 3:06 am

Anyone have a lead on a DCM impala front grille?
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a reputable place to find an aftermarket/reproduction Impala front grille?

Not finding used ones too easily. I've seen 2-3 vendors on Ebay, etc. but don't know if those products are trustworthy?
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Texas Mike it is hard to tell if the white and gold wagon has a tailgate without damage. Do you recall?
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Ok gang - we're nearly finished with the repairs on this beast. Car is repainted, my body guy is just going over the trim now to body-color paint all the moldings and get rid of the chrome. Should look good with the Impala grille I picked up. End is in sight, should have the car back next week (!!!)

We are still in need of two parts:
(1) Driver's side, rear window rubber weatherstrip seal (top of the exterior of the window)
(1) Passenger's side, rear window chrome molding strip (top of the exterior of the window)

These are the only parts left that we need to finish the job - my body guy looked all over local junkyards for 50 miles and checked some of his connections - he's coming up short. Anyone have a lead on these two parts? I highlighted the areas in the photo below - please note we are discussing the EXTERIOR parts, driver's side rubber and passenger side chrome molding strip, for the rear doors.

Thanks as always for all your help guys. She's almost back from the dead!

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Wagondan96-albums-96-dcm-picture21118-parts-highlighted2
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm

If anyone has that stuff, it would be J. Fred Kiehl.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 5:54 pm

The driver's side top weather strip is part of the run channel that surrounds the entire window. I believe I have the run channel. I may have the chrome strip for the top of the passenger's side, but I will have to check. I will get back to you on Wed., or Thurs.
Back to top Go down
wagondan96

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Sounds great, thanks as always Fred. Payment ready when you are.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 am

I only have the chrome strip. $30 shipped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc   FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FIRE - need roof parts, rear window parts, Impala DCM grille, etc
Page 1 of 1