GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bocoogto

Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Empty
PostSubject: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 6:12 pm

I have had three RMW's with stainless trim on both sides. I've spent many hours cleaning the stainless and rubber before re-applying after it comes loose. I've always used 3M double sided trim tape as, I believe, the factory used. In every case, after a year or two, the ends were again loose. On my latest wagon, a '95, I tried "Automotive Goop" to secure the ends as they loosened. That was about two years ago, and the ends that I used Goop on are still secure.

Now, thanks to Silverfox on this board, I have a near-perfect straight piece of driver's side door stainless and the rubber strip for it. I have cleaned all traces of adhesive & tape off of the rubber and stainless. I will do a final cleaning with lacquer thinner before I re-attach the rubber.

What have you found to be the best adhesive for the rubber strips? Have I been buying the wrong 3M tape? I've always had good luck with 3M automotive products, but not the tape. Help!!!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Dick

Never had any luck with the tape and apparently GM hasn't either. This is what I have done: went to HD and got a tube of GE Silicon and a roll of 2" blue painters tape. I don't remember how much I had to redo, but it lasted @12 years when I sold the wagon. I'm sure it is still holding.

Tom
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Did you use the 2" tape to keep the silicone off the body? I can't picture what you needed the tape for.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Sorry Dick, didn't finish explaining. I put beads of silicon on the back side of the rubber, positioned on the chrome. I pushed it on tight, cleaned up any excess that may have oozed out. Then, I taped it securely with the 2 inch painters tape and let it sit 2 or 3 day. It has lasted at least 12 years. I may have had to "touch up" and end here and there, but for the most part it worked great.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Dragonwagon

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 am

One of my trucks had a flat mirror on each side.  I bought some aftermarket fisheye mirrors to improve visibility.

They came with peel and stick two faced tape.  I carefully cleaned the surface of the flat mirrors, peeled the tape, and stuck them on.

A few weeks later, the temperatures hit triple digits.  I went outside and found one of the mirrors on the ground and the other only held on by one strip.  Some pieces of tape came loose from the back of the new mirrors (factory applied to a plastic surface) and some from the face of the old mirrors.  I bought some more double faced tape and tried again.  Another hot day, another pair of mirrors on the ground.

I bought some weatherstrip adhesive from the auto parts store.  It came in a tube like a toothpaste tube. I still have the truck.  I haven't had to redo it. Those mirrors have stayed on through 28 summers now.

Pay attention not to get any on undesired surfaces, though.  The stuff is hard to clean off.
Back to top Go down
monwell

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 2:58 am

3M has a black weatherstrip adhesive that I find better than others I've tried.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative
Page 1 of 1