GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate window won't open

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
Nick Danger
Bob Whiteside
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bob Whiteside

Tailgate window won't open Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm

The tailgate window on my '94 Buick Wagon won't open by the push button lock, the remote, the dash rear window switch, the manual pull, or the door lock switches. The solenoid sounds strong. I can't access the tailgate panel screws without opening the window. I'm a paraplegic and others use the gate a lot to load my wheelchair for me. I sure would appreciate some advise.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 8:16 pm

When that happened to our car, the solenoid had broken off its mounting tab. I bought a replacement from Fred Kiehl, and it solved the problem.

I later found the missing bit of metal and had someone weld the old one back together, and it's in the shed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Bob Whiteside

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 pm

How did you get the window open so you could lower the tailgate and get access to the solenoid?
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Turning the key sometimes worked. I fiddled with it for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Bob Whiteside

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I'll try it and let you know.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 am

Turning the key to unlock the gate should open the glass.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2018 7:12 am

If at first Fred's suggestion does not seem to work, press down a bit on the center bottom of the window as you turn the key. If the lift cylinders are relatively new and strong, they can sometimes exert enough force that the release may bind and the window may not pop up when you turn the key.
Back to top Go down
Bob Whiteside

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 am

I turned the key lock on the tailgate to the left and pushed in on the window as suggested by another member and it opened. Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 4:28 am

Turning the key to the right operates the solenoid, turning to the left mechanically pops the latch.
jim, '96 Woodie
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 8:36 am

Turning the key to the left mechanically opens the glass. Turning the key to the right mechanically locks the gate. Pushing on the key button operates the solenoid.
Back to top Go down
vetrnz06

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2021 7:08 pm

what just started happening is my tailgate glass wont pop with the keyfob or switch on dash. the key does open the glass by turn to left or locks it to right. so is it the solenoid like above or is there a fuse or relay out on these cars to check first? reading above it sounds like the solenoid is accessible if that's the issue. Fred!!!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Going by a 72 year old memory, here's how I remember it:  I had a similar problem, about 15 years ago, the one of the rivets to the solenoid broke and it rotated.  I either used a rivet or a sheet metal screw to secure it.  Also, there are rods that pop out of little plastic clips, that you just pop back in.  You need to remove the inside panel to gain access. Shouldn't be a bad job.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Listen for the solenoid to click when you push the button. The key button also works the solenoid. The mount for the solenoid may have broken. That is a somewhat common issue. You must remove the gate interior to access the solenoid. Depending on the year, there are 2-4 screws along the sides and (91-93 have 2 under the carpet at the bottom), the screws across the top, and you must remove the gate handles and lock rod end. There are also 4 clips and 9 tree fasteners holding the gate interior on.

There is a switch on the latch that makes a connection when the button is pressed. If it does not activate, the button will not make the solenoid function.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate window won't open   Tailgate window won't open Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate window won't open
Page 1 of 1