GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate drops but will not swing open

Go down 
+3
Deadmanonduty
silverfox103
dmg4
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

Tailgate drops but will not swing open Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm

The title explains the basic problem.  It's a 1996 Roadmaster.  The tailgate works fine in the drop-down mode.   In the "swing-open" mode there is resistance to pull on the handle when you pull upwards, but nothing happens.  I've removed the panel to see if I can notice anythign amiss, but it all looks normal.  Any suggestions on what to try next to effect a diagnosis and repair?

Last edited by dmg4 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 4:21 pm

You need to slam the door, making sure you put pressure on the bottom right hand side.  It is a common problem, have had it many times myself.

Tom
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 4:40 pm

OK. I just tried the slam with pressure on the lower right, and it's the same. However, there is more that I just noticed. The tailgate can not be locked, although all of the door locks are operable. And, here's the weird part: When I pull up on the latch for the "swing" gate, both lights on the rear grab handles go on, but only while I maintain upward pressure on the handle. They do not go on when I operate the "drop" handle on the tailgate. What next?
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 pm

I still think its not latched tight….
Might have to adjust something.
Back to top Go down
just me

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 pm

Those lights are not supposed to work when you drop the tailgate, only when it swings so I wouldn't worry about that. You probably just have something not adjusted or connected at the hinge assemblies that is not allowing the bottom right assembly to separate and swing the door open. Sounds like the handles are working fine.

Last edited by just me on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had to adjust for the "other left"!)
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 am

Are there any tutorials, videos, manuals, bulletins, etc that provide instruction on the proper adjustment of the various linkages and controls? The inability to lock the tailgate and rear window is a pain in the butt.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 am

The FSM has instructions on adjusting the tailgate, but the adjustments are for the gate action.

There is a cable that works the latch for the "door" function. It must move both the upper and lower latch. The lower latch operates the switch that turns the lights on.

Check the locking by using the key in the lock.

Your upper latch must be working correctly, because you can open it as a gate. There is a rod that goes between the upper and lower latch on the right side. it is probably out of adjustment, worn, or off of the lower latch. Picture should be on page 10-8-16 of the FSM. It is part #96. You can adjust the swivel end on the bottom after removing the retaining clip. One turn should be enough if it is still attached to the latch. If it is not attached, reattach it, and put a new clip on it.
Back to top Go down
Matts Dad

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 9:17 pm

I had the same problem with the RMW I just purchased; the door feature would not work. After removing the cover, I discovered a bar (located on top outer side of tail gate) that goes from door feature assy. on rt to the upper rh portion of the tail gate was not moving freely. Also noticed this bar that was supposed to be captured in plastic retaining clips came out of the clips. After applying WD40 in the mechanism on the upper lh side of the tailgate and working the rod back and forth - the mechanism became free and the door finally worked. Also, one of the things I noticed on my tailgate lock button rod is it came off from the clip on the inner side of the tailgate. I reattached the clip and it appears the button rod was bent from maybe a shopping cart and is not in straight position (the button does not always go up / down when cycling locks. I applied WD40 directly into lock hole which seemed to help a bit. Will probably go in to remedy lock rod on my next venture into tailgate.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 9:39 pm

I have some of the wire clips. They are no longer available.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 am

I've been staring at this mechanism now for several minutes trying to see where the problem lies. The rod that applies the pull to the lower latch is moving slightly, but then it is prevented from further movement by something jammed at its top end or at the bottom end. How would shortening the rod length by adjusting the threaded portion address this issue?

If I uncouple the top end of this rod, and pull, should it release the lower latch?

The clips holding the rod traversing the top of the gate are long gone, and have been replaced by cable lock ties to perform the same function. Meatball repair, but it seems to work.

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 am

That could be affecting the angles and travel of the mechanisms….
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 8:33 am

"That could be affecting the angles and travel of the mechanisms…."

Which option: the lack of clips, the threaded adjustment of the vertical rod, or my staring at the mechanism: Loooooook into my eyes.... you are in my power.... open thou damned tailgate! Nothing. The force is weak with me.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 8:36 am

If you detach the upper end of the rod, and pull it should release the lower latch. The upper will still be latched unless you pull the handle. I would not pull the rod with the gate lowered, because it very possibly will disconnect the bottom of the gate and the gate may fall and damage it.

If the clips are the ones holding the transverse rod from bending along the left side, that is probably not a problem. The clips you need to be concerned about are the ones inside the gate that hold the wire ends in the slots.

The threaded end is where the adjustment is made. I can not see the situation, or manipulate it, but that is where you need to concentrate your efforts. Shortening the rod will cause the mechanism of the lower latch to move further when you operate the handle. You will have to judge the amount that it has to move, to actuate the latch.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 am

"The clips you need to be concerned about are the ones inside the gate that hold the wire ends in the slots."

Do the clips to which you refer retain the ends of the rod that runs between the upper and lower latch on the right side, or do they retain the steel cable that is attached to the handle that controls the "door" function?

Yes, I know this is difficult by mail. Would it help if I made a short video clip showing what the various parts are doing when operated?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am

It's been my experience,. that when a tail gate fails to open in one direction or the other,.

It's because one of the actuating rods for the other direction is seized slightly,.

liberal amounts of penetrant on all the various catches,and making sure that each rod moves fully and easily in its travel, will get the gat working,.

I use a small pair of vice grips to make sure each rod returns fully to its stop,..

All this going off in a tangent and adjusting stuff, is a great thing on very high mile cars,. of cars that have seen commercial duty and the gar has been opened and closed far more times in excess of what a normal use gate sees,.

Usually ( and i have had a 'few' wagons over the years,. its from one rod or another not returning to base fully so to speak,.

lack of use and lubrication are 50% of the time culprit,. the other 50% the rod will pop out of a broken brittle retainer,..at the lock mechanisim,. which can be overcome by bending the end of the rod so it can't pop out,. circumventing the need for a plastic clip,..

It's on this forum here somewhere how to do it,. with pics,..
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm

WHAHOO! Phantom 309, you win the prize. I can only hope that I will live to be 105 like you and thus learn to fix these wagons.

I hosed every moving part in the tailgate with PB Blaster, waited an hour, followed it with Silicone lock and latch lube, yanked up and down and pulled the beejeezus out of the vertical rod running from the upper and lower latches with a pair of needle-nosed vicegrips, and POP, it started working. Cured the "failure to lock" issue too, and the drop gate even operates more easily now. It's true: I don't think I've used the door function of the tailgate once in the last 12 months.

If you show up at the Hershey Wagonfest in October, I owe you some serious beer.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 7:53 pm

dmg4 wrote:
WHAHOO!  Phantom 309, you win the prize.  I can only hope that I will live to be 105 like you and thus learn to fix these wagons.

I hosed every moving part in the tailgate with PB Blaster, waited an hour, followed it with Silicone lock and latch lube, yanked up and down and pulled the beejeezus out of the vertical rod running from the upper and lower latches with a pair of needle-nosed vicegrips, and POP, it started working.  Cured the "failure to lock" issue too, and the drop gate even operates more easily now.  It's true: I don't think I've used the door function of the tailgate once in the last 12 months.

If you show up at the Hershey Wagonfest in October, I owe you some serious beer.

Thats great,. i,m glad it worked for you,..

sometimes its the easiest simplest fix with these wagons,. but it oft times gets over shadowed by tons of information,. sometimes info pertaining to rare obscure problems,..all good info tho,..

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 pm

Awesome, I knew it was in the latching mechanisms somehow, because they affect the lock and what the handles can do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate drops but will not swing open   Tailgate drops but will not swing open Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate drops but will not swing open
Page 1 of 1