GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The ultimate Optispark?

Go down 
+2
sherlock9c1
alcwkat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alcwkat

alcwkat

The ultimate Optispark? Empty
PostSubject: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 9:31 am

At almost 90k miles I'm Opti shopping. This guy seems to be turning out the best I've found. Regarding the bearing, he states "I replace the bearing. I have a jig that presses in the new bearing while retaining the timing."

Has anyone installed his product yet?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And, BTW, Rock has a few of these Belden/Napa 700785 wire sets left with high-temp gray line conduit:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 6:49 pm

It ain't cheap but he's hitting all the high points. I'd make sure to put a new 4-pin harness on it too while you're at it and you've covered all the failure points. The bearing, Mitsubishi sensor and new seal are all big deals.

As I said when I bought a really expensive ladder, it's cheaper than the cost of ONE ER visit.  That opti is cheaper than the cost of a tow and the downtime to replace an opti.
Back to top Go down
Dragonwagon

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am

I bought one from Brad and everything appeared to be as advertised. He was easy to deal with, did what he said, and stood behind his product. He offered a few options regarding which components I wanted it assembled from. Mine had the MSD cap and rotor, Mitsubishi sensor, new harness and new vent.

Unfortunately, the unit arrived the day before the car was totaled, so I never got the chance to install it.
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 am

I think mine came factory with the ultimate opti. 195k on the original unit, cap, rotor, all the way down to factory packard electronics wires and delco plugs. The optical sensor literally burned a hole through the plastic lol. Replaced the the wear components with an SMP (BWD parts store brand) cap and rotor and some fresh wires and denso plugs. Even with that many miles (currently at 205k) the original opti is still going strong. They are long lasting units and do not need to be replaced if you can seal them and keep them maintained. At 90k, an aftermarket cap and rotor like the SMP or MSD will allow you to get alot of miles with stock optical sensor and disk. Call me crazy but I still have the original water pump! Laughing
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 am

ramrod_mobile wrote:
I think mine came factory with the ultimate opti. 195k on the original unit, cap, rotor, all the way down to factory packard electronics wires and delco plugs. The optical sensor literally burned a hole through the plastic lol.  Replaced the the wear components with an SMP (BWD parts store brand) cap and rotor and some fresh wires and denso plugs. Even with that many miles (currently at 205k) the original opti is still going strong. They are long lasting units and do not need to be replaced if you can seal them and keep them maintained. At 90k, an aftermarket cap and rotor like the SMP or MSD will allow you to get alot of miles with stock optical sensor and disk. Call me crazy but I still have the original water pump! Laughing

I've done plugs and wires on my '96, but my Opti has never been touched in 137K miles. I DID have the water pump leak way back in 2007 at about 80K miles though!
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 am

Sorry I missed this. I have an opti from Brad. He actually sent me two because he couldn't verify in his notes if he tested the original that he sent, so he exchanged it. Good to deal with. The units are tested at temp and completely sealed. Came with a fresh harness and vent.

Only 8k miles on it, but they've been trouble free so far.

The Truckster likes this post

Back to top Go down
alcwkat

alcwkat

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 am

Thanks guys. She just hit 90k, and seems to have outlasted berrington1 (Brad?) - nothing at his store. I'll just wait until an issue arises.
Although the Dynaspark is interesting... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate Optispark?   The ultimate Optispark? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The ultimate Optispark?
Page 1 of 1