GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

switched power source

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RoadmasterTwo

switched power source Empty
PostSubject: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 9:57 am

I know, I know. I never post until I need something...
I'm adding a Sirius XM unit to my 96 RMW this week. I want a tidy installation, and I'd like to know the nearest source for a switched hot wire. Currently I have the power from the ciggy outlet just so that I know everything works, but it's permanently on. I have a reworked head unit coming with a front "audio in" socket so hopefully it's a cleaner sound than the FM channel setup.
Given that the dash face is off ready for the radio, I can tie in anywhere....is it best to run a wire from the fuse box, or can I tie into the radio wire?
Thanks as always,
Simon
Back to top Go down
http://www.mcfiddles.com
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 10:03 am

Remote wire on the radio harness will be fine.
Back to top Go down
RoadmasterTwo

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 10:25 am

Just so that you know, I may not post but I do stalk the forum, and I do try to search before I ask.
Sometimes I need a bit of reinforcement before I jump into a project, so thank you!
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 10:43 am

No worries. It's a pretty good resource BECAUSE most questions have been asked/answered anyway. Are you adding a standalone XM tuner and leaving the factory radio?
Back to top Go down
RoadmasterTwo

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 am

I like the factory radio look, and my first intention was to use a cassette adapter for the XM. Not surprisingly, I'd never used the cassette, and found out it was broken inside. I explored new radios, but many of the double din offerings seemed to have disco lighting colors. I found the remanufactured CD/Cassette factory unit with the (maybe) added benefit of the aux input, and ordered one of those.

There's a small space on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel that looks as if it was made to attach the little standalone XM unit to. Note: even the best damned velcro won't hold it in Kansas summer heat, so it's now bolted in place, ready for the new radio this week....
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 am

I use 3M tape to mount accessories like that. I have a cell phone mount that's been on the dash of my daily driver for over a year in Florida heat.

Back to top Go down
RoadmasterTwo

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2018 1:08 pm

And did I even think of the 3M stuff? Even after putting about ten feet of rubber trim back on the sides of my wagon last weekend? Nope.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: switched power source   switched power source Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

switched power source
Page 1 of 1