GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015

Go down 
+3
Bobloblaw
Fred Kiehl
4501 Safari
7 posters
AuthorMessage
4501 Safari

Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Empty
PostSubject: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Posted over on the impalassforum but think most wagon folks would use this information too.  I was glad to find it.

Electric trains are another way to be abused financially other than our cars. Most are converting the lighting over to led to conserve available power for the more complex electronically operated trains available since our cars were new back in the 90's.

Yes the hobbies and the technology seem to have parallel paths in many respects. Looking on the http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/ (O Gauge Railroading Forum) this afternoon I noticed a post on led bulbs. The company also has replacements for just about anything we can think of. Not really inexpensive but easily referenced and available.

Here's the link: http://www.autolumination.com/

If this is already common knowledge then I wasted a few minutes posting. If you're like me and like to find something useful once in a while, rather than multiple dead ends on the search features, this may help.

I found the site illuminating.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 8:19 pm

194s are available in various colors on ebay for as little as 20 for $7.00. I have not checked other sizes.
Back to top Go down
4501 Safari

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 10:05 pm

So true, Fred,  I found the site does provide references for the led bulbs that are available for our cars.  I could not find the mirror mounted map reading bulbs, for example, on eBay in led but surprisingly enough they were on Amazon.  Hardly 20 for $7.00 though.  Maybe someday some one will post a cross reference and source for all the weird little bulbs GM used like the one in the Caprice illuminating the headlamp switch or the one in the Roadmaster door illuminating the inside door handle at night.  You see them when they work and when you take apart an assembly in a salvage yard.  Find a number though...oh well.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Hope this helps.
Has a all the lights and part #s you could think of.
I have use it in the past and was able to find all of the lights I needed.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgallbulbs.aspx?year=1995&qual=618&model=1675&make=16

This is specifically for a 95 Roadmaster Wagon
I did that page for an example.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:35 am

I found an LED replacement for the CHSL at Autozone for about $7 each. I would check ebay before buying one.

I bid on a PAIR if 194 LEDs and did not win. I got a "second chance" to buy them for 25 cents...shipped all the way from China. I just got them yesterday. The only issue is that they are a little tight in the socket. I can not grasp that they can send them from China to the US for $.25 including postage.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:57 am

There are exceptions, but in general I have found the LED adaptations lacking. There's nothing really wrong with LEDs, but the light is highly directional whereas an incandescent bulb throws light everywhere -- something that was accounted for in the original design.

It goes for my Lionel trains too. I've tried some LED bulbs in place of incandescent in cars and engines but they just don't do it for me. OTOH, LEDs are great for incorporating tiny lights in scenery!

One exception to the rule: I like LEDs in the spotlight towers. Lionel never did get the reflector design satisfactorily directional -- but the LEDs do!

Just my 2¢. Or, in the case of toy trains: $20.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 am

If you are going to install LED lighting ANYWHERE in your car, make sure you spend the extra money and buy resistors.

Your electrical system constantly throws a current, albeit very low, but still enough to create a glow on the LED's.

Some of the higher end LED's will have a resistor built into the back of the bulbs. Radio Shack has them for cheap if you are looking for them.

If the LED's will be replacing any of your turn signals this mod is a must! They draw such little current. Your car will freak out when activating the turn signal. It thinks that a bulb is burnt out and will rapid flash as a warning.

Couple of things to think about.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
If you are going to install LED lighting ANYWHERE in your car, make sure you spend the extra money and buy resistors.

Your electrical system constantly throws a current, albeit very low, but still enough to create a glow on the LED's.

Some of the higher end LED's will have a resistor built into the back of the bulbs. Radio Shack has them for cheap if you are looking for them.

If the LED's will be replacing any of your turn signals this mod is a must! They draw such little current. Your car will freak out when activating the turn signal. It thinks that a bulb is burnt out and will rapid flash as a warning.

Couple of things to think about.  
The reason for resistors in LED lighting is to limit current so the LED will not go into thermal runaway. The electrical system can not have a minimal current if there is an on/off switch in the circuit. The resistor does not have to have a large value...10 ohms max.

If you are replacing the turn signal bulbs, change the blinker relay and emergency relay to electronic ones, instead of putting a resistor in the circuit. Putting a resistor in the circuit defeats the purpose of the LED reducing current draw. The lights will not flash with the original relays, because the LEDs do not draw enough current to heat the bimetal strip that breaks the circuit.
Back to top Go down
annapolis

PostSubject: head lamp switch illumantion on Caprice    Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 3:00 pm

4501 Safari wrote:
So true, Fred,  I found the site does provide references for the led bulbs that are available for our cars.  I could not find the mirror mounted map reading bulbs, for example, on eBay in led but surprisingly enough they were on Amazon.  Hardly 20 for $7.00 though.  Maybe someday some one will post a cross reference and source for all the weird little bulbs GM used like the one in the Caprice illuminating the headlamp switch or the one in the Roadmaster door illuminating the inside door handle at night.  You see them when they work and when you take apart an assembly in a salvage yard.  Find a number though...oh well.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

the bulb for illuninating the Caprice headlamp switch is a Honda part # 35505S84-NO1
Back to top Go down
annapolis

PostSubject: bulb   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 3:47 pm

4501 Safari wrote:

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL
that bulb is correct if your switch is like mine in my 1994, rotates, believe at least 95 is the same do not know if all Caprice used the same style switch as mine it rotates to operate, am not knowing what switches were in the below 1994 model caprice  bulb # Honda part # 35505S84-NO1 will light it for you.
Back to top Go down
starchaser

PostSubject: LED bulbs    Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 2:11 am

I want to have my reverse lights blink so if I put LED lights in place of regular bulbs and put a stock flasher in  line would they flash faster than normal Question  ? I would like to put a strip of LED's on the side of rear lamps. along with a back-up buzzer put in before the flasher Cool I need this as I live near a collage and many people don't pay attention to where they are walking, affraid
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 2:23 am

They would not flash at all. You need an electronic flasher. Having your brake lights flash would not help a pedestrian. You are already past them when they see the lights. If you want them to flash when backing, it might make a little difference. It may also be illegal to have them flash while braking depending on where you are living.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 am

The simplest solution to warn pedestrians when you reverse is to replace one reverse bulb with one of these:

http://www.grote.com/products/73140-5-beeping-backup-halogen-bulb-retail-pack/
Back to top Go down
starchaser

PostSubject: STOP LIGHTS ??   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 12:19 am

I didn't mean brake lights just the white lights that come on when you put the car in reverse confused .buickwagon thanks but I've seen these and want something a little brighter.and can wire some LED strips on the sides of the lenses.
Back to top Go down
starchaser

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 4:04 am

Well I put in some L.E.Ds in the reverse light stock loc,s . and a stock flasher inline with l.e.d strips on each side on the taillights now it looks like a bunch of fire works, now when I put a back up alarm they can't help but seeing me when back out, even in sunlight.and my back up camera works so much better. Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 10:05 pm

starchaser wrote:
Well I put in some L.E.Ds in the reverse light stock loc,s . and a stock flasher inline with l.e.d strips on each side on the taillights now it looks like a bunch of fire works, now when I put a back up alarm they can't help but seeing me when back out, even in sunlight.and my back up camera works so much better. Very Happy Cool
We need video .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015   Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found an automotive LED replacement bulb source 4/15/2015
Page 1 of 1