GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel

Go down 
+2
Rev Bob
voxkd
6 posters
AuthorMessage
voxkd

Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 am

I have a 95 Roadmaster Estate, basically stock, 102k miles, with the Gran Touring Suspension option.  While driving on gentle curves, and occasionally in a straight line, I sometimes feel a disconcerting slipping sensation in the steering wheel.  To best describe it, it kind of feels like how it feels when a power steering belt gets wet, and the wheel gets unresponsive until the belt get traction...only the sensation does not last very long at all...just a second or so.  When I first felt it, I wondered if it was a tire separating or other issue, but I have recently replaced all 4 tires and wheels and am still getting the sensation.  Before I had replaced the tires, I stopped into a service center and had a front end inspection, to eliminate anything obvious, but they said all seemed in good order. The belt is in good order, and there is no oil seepage or wetness on that business end of the system.  I do not seem to be able to recreate the issue on demand, and it does not seem to happen more in tight curves or under greater demand, etc...usually just when tooling down the highway, changing lanes, curves, etc...

Wondering what may be causing this and how it could be resolved...and if anyone else feels anything similar on their RM.  I have full confidence in the mechanicals on my car, but the steering issue is the only thing I feel less than confident in now.  Any guidance is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am

Possibly the Variable Effort Steering (if so equipped) is acting up. It won't cause the steering wheel to come adrift or anything like that. Comes down to basic understanding of the system and troubleshooting. If your car has the system, you can disconnect the solenoid connector at the pump and see if your symptoms go away.
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 am

Rev Bob wrote:
Possibly the Variable Effort Steering (if so equipped) is acting up. It won't cause the steering wheel to come adrift or anything like that. Comes down to basic understanding of the system and troubleshooting. If your car has the system, you can disconnect the solenoid connector at the pump and see if your symptoms go away.

Gotcha! Is there an obvious way to know if my car has that system...like a piece of hardware visible, etc...

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 am

I am looking around online...found this reference... "You need to look under the front of your car. What you are looking for is what looks like a shock absorber hooked up to your center link and attaching to the frame on the passenger side. If you car has this then YES you have variable effort steering."

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2018 5:12 am

The damper may have been removed at some time. A more direct way to check is to look to see if there is an electrical connector on the power steering pump.
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 am

Will do!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am

There is a position sensor on the end of the steering column. It has a connector on it. Unplug the connector. You do not have to climb under the car, just lean over the fender.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am

Check your steering damper (horizontally-mounted shock)

- ACDELCO 509608 {#88946549}
- GABRIEL 14019
- MOOG SSD77 {#4993536}

Cheap from Rock Auto, but when I ordered mine, I had to look under Cadillac Fleetwood, as these were not listed under Roadmasters.

Good Luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
voxkd

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks Fred and Mike, will do!!
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 am

Another easy thing to do would be to pull the fuse for the variable effort steering control module to see if the problem goes away or not. It's in the fuse panel in the driver's side dash.
Back to top Go down
carguyray

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm

I know I'm replying to an ANCIENT thread, but I can attest to the steering damper being the issue. I just took mine back to my mechanic (25 cars so I just drop tings with him and he goes from there) after doing a lot of steering fixes about 9 months before. I described it as "the steering wheel seems to "drop off" of center when you turn" (I drive a lot of twisty roads). He found that as a possible issue and after some headache finding it (I seem to recall he said he found it linked to the Impala SS) it made all the difference in the world!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel   Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeling a Slipping Sensation in Steering Wheel
Page 1 of 1