GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EGR Valve?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm

According to Autozone the EGR valve is tripping the code and turning on the Check Engine light. Fun. I'm hoping that's an easy fix. Anyone done one on these? 96 RMW LT1

Thanks!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Remove "home plate". Wait you already did right?

Unplug EGR hose, remove two bolts, slide EGR off studs, put new EGR on and reverse.

It's quite easy actually. Ratcheting wrenches make it really easy. Engine cold though, a little toasty to do hot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
81X11

81X11

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks very much. Project for tonight. FYI on the trip to Arkansas I got 21mpg and coming back with the light on it dropped to 18mpg. Hope this fixes it!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Yep, easy to do. Don't forget the gasket. I had an intermittent EGR CEL on my 94 when I bought it, so I put the F Body 6 speed EGR on. No CEL since, and mileage has been good.
Back to top Go down
kiltedscotsman

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Damn, i never knew it was that easy! Could someone post a pic of what the EGR valve looks like from the top of the engine bay? Im kind of a dumbass mechanically. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.buickforums.com
81X11

81X11

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 am

Hi folks. EGR replacement is DONE! Was not too hard, but MAN you can't see it at all! I went by feel and got on the bolts with my GearWrenches. Hardest part was getting all the old gasket residue off the intake. Stole one of my wifes makeup mirrors so I could see the mounting area to clean it. Fun! I will say I have NO IDEA how Camaro and Firebird owners would replace this. It's waaaayyyy back there just on a B-body. Would be under the dashboard on an F-body.

While I was sweating in the garage I went ahead and changed the oil, and then since I was right there I removed the mounting bracket for the Home Plate baffle. Looks much cleaner and I'm one step closer to getting the Vette fuel rail covers on.

Did find one new issue. I noticed the top of the battery was rubbing the edge of the radiator support. Went to wiggle the battery and the entire base was loose. Removed the battery and there was only one bolt holding the battery tray down, and it was really loose. Rummaged through my spare bolt box and found a bolt that fit the missing hole, and bolted it and the existing one back down tightly, and then re-installed the battery. It nearly rubbed a hole through the top of the battery. Glad I caught that!

Removing the battery re-set the codes. Took the car for a good drive and it runs and drives great. No check engine light and good power. One more "fix" down!

Went to the car wash and got the Arkansas bugs off, and vaccumed it out. She looks good again!

Hopefully I can get the Vette rail covers on this weekend. Still nervous about pulling on 14-year-old wiring...but really want those on.

Thanks for the words of wisdom on the EGR group!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Good work! And, good luck with the Vette covers. I have a set for my SS that have been sitting in my parts bin for a couple of years. Maybe this summer.

BTW, pick up gates hose # 28164 (Napa 9806). This is the hose you will need with the 90 degree bend to go from the brake booster to the intake. The B car one won't work, and the Corvette one is the wrong size.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Got it! Have the stud mounts, covers, Napa brake hose, and fuel line removal tools. Now just need the nerve and time to DO the actual install.

My car has some kind of vacumn unit on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Not sure what it is...but think I'll need some vacumn hoses to mount it somewhere else. And I'm still sweating about forcing all the engine wiring down and around back behind the engine. I can just see something getting screwed up there.

Hopefully this weekend I'll suck it up and tackle this. For now the car sure is running well!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Sitting at a light the car is smooth, and moving down the road it's smooth as well. When I let off the brake and the car idles forward, before I press on the gas, it feels like there is a slight miss. The second I press on the gas pedal or come to a complete stop, it's smooth as always. Hmmm. I also noticed it idling forward in a drive-thru.

It's only noticable because the car has always been so dead smooth in the past. Wonder if doing the EGR did something? I've not done the plugs, wires, or fuel filter since buying the car....wonder if that's the issue.

Ahh fun.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Did you scrape the old gasket off real well? I know it is hard to get to....it could be leaking a touch if its not sealed completely.

Trust me, little things like that can be annoying but fun when you figure it out. Hoping to get my issue solved soon too.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 am

Guess I'll pick up a gasket and pull it this weekend and try again. Such fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EGR Valve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve?   EGR Valve? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EGR Valve?
Page 1 of 1