GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joelovescats

I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!   I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 7:27 pm

So today I looked under the hood and found this
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I knew that the oil filler funnel thing was loose and the threads were striped. Now I think that the threads in the valve cover are stripped because they feel very smooth. I opened up my hood and found the oil cap popped off and melted on the exhaust manifold and the other hose was popped out too and it's very loose and doesn't want to stay in. Does anybody have any quick solutions? This is my only car so I really need to be able to drive it without worrying about oil getting out and junk getting in. Can someone please post a link on valve covers that I can get without having to mod anything. I know there needs to be a notch on these for them to fit. I really need a plug and play type of deal. PLEASE anybody know any valve covers that will fit a 1994 RMW LT1?? I'm hoping I can overnight them if its not too expensive to be able to drive to class on Wednesday. Help me please I'm 18 and need my daily to run good again!

Thank you so much guys Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!   I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Try seeing if you can thread just the oil filler cap back on without the extension. The breather hose is a pretty common one, any parts store should have a replacement grommet. Might as well do the pcv valve while you're at it. Worst case you could drive it without the cap on it. I drove from Denver to Phoenix with my filler cap sitting on the inner fender well in the Formula (also an lt1) . But I wouldn't recommend doing it for very long.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!   I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm

The valve covers are really hard to damage, because all of the other parts are plastic. Concentrate on the plastic parts. Check on the price of the filler extension and let me know. I have a used one sitting on the shelf. If threads in the valve cover are stripped, I have a set of stock valve covers for sale.
Back to top Go down
joelovescats

PostSubject: Re: I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!   I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks guys! I would try just screwing the cap on without the filling neck but the cap has like tabs that lock when you twist and not actual threads. Also happy to hear that I can just replace the grommet to secure the breather hose. Now for the actual threads though I can hardly feel anything on the inside of the valve cover hole and the thread on the filler neck look fine so I'll have to replace the valve cover eventually. Another good thing to here is that it's not bad but not good to not have the oil cap on. I'll have to see if there are any good temporary fixes to plug the hole.

How much would the covers and filler neck be Fred?? I might try to head to the junk yard tomorrow but my local yard has a good selection but horrible prices. I've asked my local O'reilly's and they didn't have it and said try the yards. I'm also fortunate enough to have an NPD 5 miles away from my house that my dad always goes to for his 79 Trans Am Razz . I thought about trying there for LT1 stuff but I think 94 is just a little to new for parts from there.

Thanks guys for all the help!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!   I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I NEED VALVE COVER HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1