GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

fuel tank question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MildBill

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Are the fuel tanks the same for TPI and TBI cars?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 6:23 pm

THey are interchangeable, however, the sending unit and fuel pump are different (TBI runs higher pressure).

That said, I believe (I never cut one open) the 94-96 tanks have better baffling. Why you ask? Well, I've owned 14 wagons since 2007 and about a 50/50 split on the motors. The TBIs will fuel starve under 'spirited' driving (aka slamming it sideways through a corner) when under 1/4 tank. It's most annoying to be enjoying said corner only to have the motor cut out and having to shift to N and turn the key while sliding around a corner. Have not had that issue once in an LT1 powered car. Now maybe the 2x fuel pressure makes up the difference, I dunno, but that's my experience.

so..... any wagon tank 91-96 will work, just make sure to change the sending unit and/or fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
MildBill

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks Sprocket. I bought a 94 parts car today, no Eng or Trans. I figured the pump and sending unit would be different. didn't know about the tank. $300 delivered for a parts car.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 am

nice Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing, because I was looking at putting over the axle dual pipes on my 92 OCC. I looked at the clearance for the pipe on the driver's side, and the TBI tank appears to have almost no clearance for the pipe. I was wondering if the 94-96 tank has more clearance in the left front corner for a pipe.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I was wondering the same thing, because I was looking at putting over the axle dual pipes on my 92 OCC. I looked at the clearance for the pipe on the driver's side, and the TBI tank appears to have almost no clearance for the pipe. I was wondering if the 94-96 tank has more clearance in the left front corner for a pipe.

the tanks are outwardly the same dimensions. I can take a pic of my dual exhaust on the 95 if you want.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm

I believe you, but it is really tight for a left side over the axle pipe.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Sprocket wrote:
THey are interchangeable, however, the sending unit and fuel pump are different (TBI runs higher pressure).

I've never owned an LT1, but assumed they ran more fuel pressure...… The prescribed pressure for my TBI is 10-13 PSI..... What pressure do the LT1s run?

Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 8:55 pm

The TBI runs lower pressure. The LT1 runs about 35-45 psi depending on when you measure it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm

AzDon wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

I've never owned an LT1, but assumed they ran more fuel pressure...… The prescribed pressure for my TBI is 10-13 PSI..... What pressure do the LT1s run?

yes just noticed my mistake and it's too old to let me edit it now Sad LT1 runs 40-44 which is higher than the TBI.
Back to top Go down
jwasner2k

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am

Hi, does anyone know what the hose size is from the fuel filler neck to the tank? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 pm

jwasner2k wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what the hose size is from the fuel filler neck to the tank? Thanks

It is tapered from one end to the other. There are no hoses available to replace it. There is a company that makes hose and an adapter to fit the filler side from a single size hose. https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

I would have to measure the hose to give you a size. The larger hose size is on the tank neck, and you use the adapter that fits the filler neck.

The upper/vent hose is 18 mm, but 19 mm or 3/4 in will work if you clamp it tightly. Use only fuel line.

I believe the hose is 2 inch, and the adapter sizes it down to 1 3/4 inch.

jwasner2k likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fuel tank question Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel tank question   fuel tank question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fuel tank question
Page 1 of 1