GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bad wiper switch...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn

Bad wiper switch... Empty
PostSubject: Bad wiper switch...   Bad wiper switch... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 pm

It would appear that my young nephew has done something bad, and I can't shut my wipers off. It's not the "multifunction switch" that you can see -- I've swapped that a couple of times. It's the switch buried deep inside the column near the tilt-wheel lever, with about nine miles of wire disappearing into the dash. The notches on the turn signal lever aren't getting a bite on the inside of the interior switch.

In any event, half the column is in parts all over the front seat. But there appears to be no good way to remove and replace that switch that has the long tail on it.

If anyone has any insight on this, or any line on replacing it or indeed even finding a replacement, I would be most grateful.

Link to an approximation (Amazon sez it won't fit) follows for reference...

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-DS1586-Switch/dp/B000C7XU30/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ds1586&qid=1562718218&s=automotive&sr=1-1
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bad wiper switch...   Bad wiper switch... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 pm

I have a column that I recently replaced, because it has a broken ignition switch mechanism. I can try to dig the switch out of it, but you may have to change the trim collar with it.

You do not have your location, or the year, and make of your car in your signature. The switch is the same for all years, but the color of the collar is probably different. You can get SEM Color Coat paint to match the interior of your car if it is necessary to change color. I may have to remove the pins from the connector, and it may be easier to install with the connector off. The wires are color coded, so it is easy to reinistall them in your connector.

If I can get it out I would like $50 shipped. I accept paypal at jfkiehl@ij.net.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bad wiper switch...   Bad wiper switch... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 7:29 am

I pulled the wiper switch, but found that I had cut the wires below the area where it goes through the column to get the clock spring wiring out. The wires are color coded, and can be spliced to your old connector. The trim piece is dark maple red. If you are interested, I will make it $40 shipped.

For what it is worth, the switch is attached to the trim with a pressed in pin. I do not know if it is removable without destroying the trim piece.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad wiper switch...   Bad wiper switch... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad wiper switch...
Page 1 of 1