GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick in PA

1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Empty
PostSubject: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Hello Group,
Anyone familiar with a 1990 Buick Estate widnsheild washer/wiper setup?
I have no washer. The lines are not clogged. I dont know if its the cloumn stalk or the pump itself. The pump is integrated with the wiper motor. I dont know if the stalk is the actual wiper/washer switch or just an activator for a switch within the column. While fooling arould with it, I had resurected a past problem where I cant shut the wipers off. After a short fit, they turned off. So to make a long story short, I have no wash function and an intermittent issue where the wipers wount turn off.
Snow season is coming so the washer is needed for all the salt that goes on the road here in PA.

I also have a 92 CC and a 91 1A2 .

Thanks,
Nick in PA
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 12:58 am

If the wiper motor is the same as the 92, change the black control module on the front of the wiper motor. That should fix it.
Back to top Go down
Nick in PA

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 am

I compared it to my 1991 Caprice Wagon and it is a different setup. There is a circuit board below the plastic cover but I cant find it as a seperate part for this type. Either I get the motor assembly or the pump assembly. Neither are cheap. I would rather it be that then to have to mess with the column.
Thanks,
NIck
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 am

You need a trouble shooting guide. The FSM is the only book that has the information you need. It appears to be the control module. I would go with it first. You may be able to find one on another year if they are compatible.
Back to top Go down
Nick in PA

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Well I made two trips to Harry U Pull it here in PA. Grabbed a wiper/washer motor. One of only two matching units in the entire GM section. Took it home, tested it and no motor function. It was jammed solid. No parts returns at the junk yeard so the next weekend I drove the hour back, picked the second one from an old Caprice, drove home and tested it in the car but this one would stop intermittently. The washer worked though. So I tried to Frankenstein one with relays and boards from 3 of the non working units but no luck. I couldnt get one to work consistantly. So I wasted a good $30 and tons of time at the junk yard. I ordered a remanufactured one from Advanced, It was $125 plus tax, Installed it in 30 minutes and everything is working as it should. There are control boards and 3 relays in these motors and the control boards are not sealed from the elements. Im guessing the solder and connections just get time and weather beaten. They should have sealed them.
Thanks for all the advice,
Nick
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Use some hot glue and seal the whole thing?
Back to top Go down
Nick in PA

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Thats a good idea. The remanufactured one seems to be sealed much better then the original GM motor.
Have a good night,
Nick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question   1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1990 Wiper Switch and Windshield washer question
Page 1 of 1