GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser -  Doug DeMuro Empty
PostSubject: 1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro   1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser -  Doug DeMuro Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 2:49 pm

I do watch this guys videos....and often wonder if he makes stupid mistakes and outrageous statements on purpose...to "sell video views". And yes, he's a millennial who grew up riding in Hondas and Toyotas, so these cars are old and odd to him... That said, as an OLD person (I'm a whopping age 45), and someone that grew up with these cars, and later owned (and loved) an 1989 Olds Custom Cruiser, I will agree the 307 was really gutless, the 2nd row seat legroom wasn't great for how massive these cars are, and the dash vents were too small (though I REALLY miss the "crotch vents"), so I have no arguments to any of those remarks. WHERE I tend to disagree are in his comments about comfort and driving experience...and I believe there is something to be said for wide, soft seats, a ride that totally eliminates bumps, and floating down the highway in silence....the only sound in my Cruiser was the exhaust "whoosh" on really hard acceleration. Was it exciting to drive...no, but it was VERY comfortable, and I loved the view over that long hood from the driver's seat. I also have to disagree with his comment about the styling of the dashboard...I think it was really attractive. This car needed the optional gauge package, but beyond that I think it was a classy design...as it was meant to be...it was shared with the flagship Olds Ninety-Eight for goodness sake! Now to the anger/frustration/stupidity... First..the brake/tail light comment..does he really think the tiny new LED lights on modern cars are safer than these big block lights?? Also, and this made my head explode...he notes that with the seats folded down you have "almost" a flat load floor, with the exception of the 3rd row footwell.... COULDN'T SOMEONE have shown him that the cargo lid flips over from the 3rd row seatback before he posted this video?!?!?! Also...and this really made me think he's trying to upset people on purpose...as someone that can work all the modern "infotainment" systems on newer cars he reviews, I was SHOCKED that he could not figure out the RADIO in this car....he actually made a long comment about "fading" the speaker sound from front to rear.....by pushing the fast-forward and reverse control lever for the cassette player....! Someone should have shown him how to set push-button station pre-sets on that radio...would have blown his mind... This is a person that gets paid....very well (he owns a Viper)...by Auto Trader and these videos..to TALK and WRITE reviews about cars. It would be like a newspaper reporter that never checked any facts before publishing an article! And maybe...maybe...that's the point...he does this to drive people crazy to get rants like this...which generate more views...I mean THAT at least makes...some... sense.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi21sR8hfr8&feature=share
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro   1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser -  Doug DeMuro Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Doug Demuro is the guy's name - yeah, he has a LOT of car videos i've noticed... and most of them are too long for me to watch. I have watched a few of his vids. I don't doubt he does stuff --- click bait and to trigger people - the strategy works.
I'd much rather a chris fix video on how to fix stuff - now there's a guy who does a great job on showing how to fix stuff. but then that's more DIY vs reviews.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro   1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser -  Doug DeMuro Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 9:05 pm

The biggest issue I have with this video is that he is comparing a 1985 car to a modern car. No car from that era would hold up to a new car...
I also think he is missing the point completely about the driving experience of these cars. They were never meant to be sports cars or have great road feel. Just be super comfortable to drive long distances with the family and all your gear for a vacation.
Otherwise I think he is just a bit of a goofball and likes to stir the pot a bit for the reactions. He has been on Leno's Garage and seems to really know about cars.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro   1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser -  Doug DeMuro Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 8:04 am

my deal with tail/brake lights. I'vr only ever owned older vehicels, by choice, my 86 GMC crew cab, if the blinker is on the brake and taillight are off so you get one light that flashes on and off, absolutely no way to not see the blinker in the dark. Unlike with most newer vehicles I've seen where the blinker is separate so you have the blinker on and hit the brakes a lot of times from what I've seen the brake light tends to eclipse the blinker.

The absolute only thing that can possibly make LED safer, is that they illuminate faster. But you can get led conversions for most older vehicles. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those people that really doesn't actually like older vehicles and wants to convince people that older cars all belong in the scrap yard, as I know those factory LED lights are more expensive then the incandescent and even some retrofit kits are cheaper then factory replacement LED lights for modern cars.

I couldn't stand watching that clip though, just from how he talks I don't believe for one second that he likes older cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro   1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser -  Doug DeMuro Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro
Page 1 of 1