GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New radiator trans cooler lines leaking

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Empty
PostSubject: New radiator trans cooler lines leaking   New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 4:03 pm

Not sure how aggressive I can get with tightening these fittings up.
I have swapped hundreds of radiators, and I don't recall having this much trouble. It seeps a little, around the threads.
This will be the third radiator that has been in the car over its life, do flares eventually wear out?
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: New radiator trans cooler lines leaking   New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 5:04 pm

You can re-flare or check the thickness of the flare on the end of the tube, but usually they don't "go bad" unless they've been way overtightened on a steel mating fitting.

I've had some of the female fittings not be tapped all the way which results in a slow leak like you describe since the nut gets tight, but it's not squeezing the tube tight to the mating part in the radiator.

You can take a file or dremel tool and cut off 90-180 degrees of the first thread on the nut which will allow the nut to turn a bit farther and seal things up.
Back to top Go down
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

PostSubject: Re: New radiator trans cooler lines leaking   New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Well, I fixed it. I unscrewed both to check for burrs or debris, and seeing none, I (carefully) gave 'em hell.
I do know my own strength, it has been said that I am the type of person that can dent cast iron with a rubber mallet, so I suppose I was just being a little too careful.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: New radiator trans cooler lines leaking   New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Glad you got it to stop leaking!

Might be good to give it a check/re-tighten after a few thermal cycles.

What happened to the other 2 radiators?
Back to top Go down
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

PostSubject: Re: New radiator trans cooler lines leaking   New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 7:17 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
Glad you got it to stop leaking!

Might be good to give it a check/re-tighten after a few thermal cycles.

What happened to the other 2 radiators?
the last rad lasted 9 years, then the tank split. The one before that, was before my time of ownership, so its a mystery. Although the car was in a front end collision at some point so I can extrapolate a failure there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New radiator trans cooler lines leaking   New radiator trans cooler lines leaking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New radiator trans cooler lines leaking
Page 1 of 1