GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wanting to lower my 91 occ

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oldspower24

Wanting to lower my 91 occ Empty
PostSubject: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 am

I'm looking into lowering my 91 occ. My wagon has a 94 9c1 complete rear end in. Previous owner swapped it for the rear disc brakes. I've seen where guys are lowering the wagons with g-body springs. I was wondering about using a-body springs (moog 5379 back and Moog 6312 front). I saw a wagon that was lowered with these any really liked it. Was looking for any input and opinions on difference between g-body and a-body springs. Also what's the best shocks to run once I lower the wagon.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 12:53 pm

You want to use these.

Moog 5662 front
Moog CC501 rear

Perfect drop for these wagons.

Wanting to lower my 91 occ OEtGVXH
Back to top Go down
Oldspower24

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 11:47 pm

Cool. Appreciate the input. Love how that wagon sets. One other question. I have a set of factory Impala SS springs from my Impala. How much will they lower a wagon. Also what size wheels are on your wagon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am

Impala springs lower the car by about 1 inch.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Oldspower24 wrote:
Cool. Appreciate the input. Love how that wagon sets. One other question. I have a set of factory Impala SS springs from my Impala. How much will they lower a wagon. Also what size wheels are on your wagon

Not sure on the exact drop from Impala springs. I wanted new parts and went with part numbers that are in many wagons already. Zero problems with driveways, speed bumps, etc. Granted things are pretty flat here in FL but there are some steep places around here that are no problem at all.

I have 18x8 rims with Camaro tires to keep the speedo correct. The tires need to be a little smaller. I grew tired of them pretty quickly and really want to go back to 15s.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 4:37 am

I have also heard that the springs from a Crown Vic will lower the rear, but have not tried them.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Not spring related but my 2cents on tires/wheels I've driven wagons with 15, 17, 18 and 20 inch rims. I like the 17s the best, enough sidewall to give a softer ride (not like a shopping cart), and low enough to handle slamming it through corners.

I ran the SS 17s on a number of wagons, but this story really showed me the difference. I had an OCC for a few years and put like 50K on it. I drove it ALOT and was used to how fast I could take certain cloverleaf exits. About a week or two before I sold it, I swapped stock OCC rims with 225s back onto the car. Loaded it with camping gear and went sailing around an exit I knew really well.

I was amazed and how much tire deflection I could feel vs. the 17s and it really plowed through the corner to the point where I had to shave about 10 mph off the corner vs what I usually did on that one.

But if you like a cushy ride, the 15s are the best. My Current set up is SS rims with the stock ss 255s. but I'll be switching to 17s with 235/55/17s real soon (different rim, slightly narrower)
Back to top Go down
Oldspower24

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 pm

My occ has 20s on it. They were on it when I bought it. I'll be going with the Moog g-body springs. What's a good shock to go with them. Going to get rid of the rear air levelling system
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 pm

This is the most asked about topic on forums and facebook pages. Just 3 threads below this one is this one that has all the spring, shocks talk.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t14659-occ-lowering-springs
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Not spring related but my 2cents on tires/wheels   I've driven wagons with 15, 17, 18 and 20 inch rims.  I like the 17s the best, enough sidewall to give a softer ride (not like a shopping cart), and low enough to handle slamming it through corners.  

I ran the SS 17s on a number of wagons, but this story really showed me the difference.   I had an OCC for a few years and put like 50K on it.  I drove it ALOT and was used to how fast I could take certain cloverleaf exits.   About a week or two before I sold it, I swapped stock OCC rims with 225s back onto the car.  Loaded it with camping gear and went sailing around an exit I knew really well.  

I was amazed and how much tire deflection I could feel vs. the 17s and it really plowed through the corner to the point where I had to shave about 10 mph off the corner vs what I usually did on that one.  

But if you like a cushy ride, the 15s are the best.     My Current set up is SS rims with the stock ss 255s.  but I'll be switching to 17s with 235/55/17s real soon (different rim, slightly narrower)

The width of the rim makes a difference as well as the sidewall height. A wider rim with the same tire will tend to have less rollover. The more vertical sidewall is stiffer than an angled sidewall. If the rim is wider than the tire, and the sidewalls slant inward toward the tread, it will have almost no rollover.
Back to top Go down
daddyswagon

daddyswagon

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Looking to lower my 94 with 20s does any have any pictures on 20s running these springs? Or better yet an 18/20 combo as I think I'm going to swap out my fronts for 18s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to lower my 91 occ   Wanting to lower my 91 occ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanting to lower my 91 occ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Suspension, Steering and Brakes-
Jump to: