GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OCC lowering springs

Go down 
+4
RedandBlack
Fred Kiehl
jayoldschool
Norm
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Norm

Norm

OCC lowering springs Empty
PostSubject: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2019 6:30 pm

Having a hard time finding suspension parts for a 92 Custom Cruiser. Are they compatible with the other b-body suspension parts or are there differences?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Caprice, Impala SS, Roadmaster.

I have a pair of Hotchkiss rear lowering springs to sell...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 pm

All of the springs are compatible, with all B body cars, but the Impala springs are 1 inch shorter to start with. You can safely go 2 inches all around. You will have to remove one 0.030 shim from each stack for every 1/2 inch you drop the front, to compensate for increased negative camber. If you do not, your tires will wear out on the inside edge. 

When measuring the drop, before you do anything else, measure from the top of the rim to the bottom of the wheel opening on both sides, and write it down. After installing the springs measure it again, and subtract the second from the first for your drop. The springs tend to catch on the inside of the hole that the spring is supposed to go through (you may find it easier to unbolt the bushings as well as the spindle). Get new isolators for the top of the springs. Make sure the bottom end of the spring locates between the holes in the lower suspension arm. If the bushing end does not want to go back in the frame, you can spread the frame mounts and when you tighten the bolts they will bend them back to hold the bushing. Put the weight of the car on the suspension before tightening the bushing bolts if you remove them. It might be a good time to install new bushings in the lower arm at this time.

You should have your toe checked before doing a lot of driving.

On the rear, weld a 3 inch piece of exhaust pipe to the center of the upper spring perch, so that the spring will not fall out when/if you jack it to change tires. You can tirwrap the springs to the axle perch for added control. If you have auto self leveling, you must adjust the arm/rod for the sensor, or it will jack the rear up to the original ride height.

Pubtramp and M-D-Z like this post

Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 am

I’d like to get a 2”-2.5” drop on it. I live off a dirt road so I can’t get too crazy. So, if the Impalas are an inch lower, does that mean if I get Impala lowering springs that it will be an extra inch lower overall than if I were to get Caprice lowering springs? As far as the rear goes, if the car has self leveling (I’m not sure yet because I’m not getting the car until next weekend) I’d most likely just pull all that out. Any recommendations for sway bars? I’d like to tighten up the handling as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am

The spring drop is measured for a Caprice. Since the Impala is lower already, it will not have the difference advertised for the spring. You must measure the different height for it to be accurate.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Moog 5662 front
Moog CC501 rear

Those are the part numbers you want. No, neither of them are listed as correct for this car, but yes they fit, and you'll like the stance.

As far as sway bars, Hotchkis is the only game in town, or you can get a Crown Vic rear sway bar and bolt that up (there's a writeup somewhere here on the forum).
Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Sounds good! Appreciate the help
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm

The Moog springs will drop you a little over 2 inches, and they're much cheaper than "lowering springs" - you can get them from Amazon with free shipping (a big deal on heavy springs).

Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Free shipping is always a plus. What year Crown Vic for that sway bar? I can look for the write up
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Awesome! Thank you
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 pm

I have a complete bar, clamps, and links for sale. $100 plus shipping.
Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Hmmm, I’ll get back to you after I get the car.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Another vote for the MOOG springs. Everyone that installs them is more than happy with the results. Gets rid off the Baja racing look these cars have from the factory. Even better is that they do not require any zip ties or pipe welding because they WILL NOT fall out (when you jack it up) like an expensive lowering spring.

OCC lowering springs OEtGVXH
Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 6:43 pm

The Moog got my vote. That stance looks perfect!! Thanks for sharing, much appreciated. What shocks are you running? The KYBs
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 am

I'm a big fan of the Monroe Severe Service/Gas Magnums

550012 front
550013 rear

Some guys here will tell you they're too firm and harsh, but if the car is lowered IMO they are a perfect balance.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 am

I’m using the Monroe shocks that r&b posted.
Back to top Go down
RadioFlyer

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:58 am

How is the ride quality with the Moog's compared to the stock ride height? I really like the cush of my 91 OCC.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Slightly firmer than stock, but your shocks will do more for ride quality on these cars than springs.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Springs do not have much to do with ride quality until you get to extreme rates. The shocks determine the ride, by damping the spring reflex. Your main issue for ride quality will be the bump stops. You can trim the top inch, or install Z08 stops. Trimming the stops will give you more suspension travel, and with two inches of drop you need all you can get. Loosen all of the bushings to allow them to relax at the new position of the suspension arms.
Back to top Go down
RadioFlyer

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
Back to top Go down
RadioFlyer

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 pm

I am looking at doing Moog springs to lower my OCC. Will there be any tire clearance issues using 225/75/15's on a 15x8 wheels?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm

No clearance issues, as long as the offset is the same. Those are the stock tires. Fronts are the only possible interference, and the top bolt that holds the fender and wheelhouse at the wheel opening can be removed if it touches the tire.
Back to top Go down
RadioFlyer

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks Fred, That's what I was hoping to hear.
Back to top Go down
Rocker

PostSubject: Part #'s Confirmed   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 pm

I installed the moog Numbers listed above, and it came out great. I found no harshness in the ride, and seem to still have plenty of clearance. OCC lowering springs 20191110
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Did you have it aligned? If you measured the top of the rim to the fender edge before, and after installing the springs, you can remove .030/1/32 inch of shim for each 1/2 inch of drop to cure increased negative camber. It will save your tires.
Back to top Go down
Rocker

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2019 5:11 am

I'm going to align it Monday. I was pressed for time closing up shop for the day. Thank you for the advise
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2019 7:31 am

You can save your $$$ and just remove the shims from the stacks. It will come out correctly if you do so. I have been doing my own alignments for years. I did the calculations based on the FSM, and personal experience. The stacks may not have the exact shim to remove, so you can get a box of shims at Harbor Freight for cheap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCC lowering springs   OCC lowering springs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OCC lowering springs
Page 1 of 1