GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

door detent roller replacement

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

door detent roller replacement Empty
PostSubject: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2020 11:07 pm

I replaced the DS front door detent roller on the White Elephant. I bought a "replacement" unit, and had to turn the lower part down to fit the hole in the hinge. I left a step and threaded the turned down section. I had to cut the old one above the bottom of the hinge, and knock the bottom out. I compressed the spring, and the top slid out. I placed the new one in the hinge, replaced the spring, and tightened the nut with my electric screw drill, and a socket. Works like new. It was not as difficult as I expected. The spring compressor was essential to  easily completing the job.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 9:26 am

How did you cut the old one?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 am

I used a one hand hacksaw blade holder with the blade cutting toward me, and slowly cut it above the lower part of the hinge. Took about 15 minutes. Then I had to make sure any left over flange was removed before I could push it out of the bottom. I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel (could have used a grinder wheel).
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 11:52 pm

OK Fred, I need help. I bought the:
* Steck 21910 spring tool
* Auveco 19782 door roller detent shaft with bearing and roller.

I cut them and got the tops out, but the bottoms are stuck in there tight. Any tips?
door detent roller replacement Pxl_2018
door detent roller replacement Pxl_2019
door detent roller replacement Pxl_2017
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 11:53 pm

This bottom part doesn't want to budge.door detent roller replacement Pxl_2020
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 6:50 am

You need to remove the bottom of the shaft with the "washer" on it so you can push the bottom part out toward the top. I think I stated it incorrectly above. You can use the hack saw to cut it off. Sorry about the error. I think I removed the shaft in one piece. I may have cut the bottom with the Dremel, and a cutoff wheel. A grinder is a bit large to get in there. If you cut the "washer" in half, you can probably bend the end to fit through the hole. There is a shoulder on the shaft to stop it from going any further through the hole.

You are using the spring tool incorrectly. It is supposed to compress the spring from the ends. Your door stop may not allow it to open enough to get the spring tool in the space correctly.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 7:57 am

So, the washer you speak of... there is a large thick collar immediately below the lower hinge plate, then some sort of end of the rod below that. Are you talking about cutting the collar, or the very end of the rod below the collar?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 8:12 am

I cut/split the collar, and if necessary cut the end of the rod.

sherlock9c1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: door detent roller replacement   door detent roller replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

door detent roller replacement
Page 1 of 1