GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oscar73

Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Empty
PostSubject: Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?   Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 4:57 pm

I was looking at some of the window roller replacement thread, and was pleasantly surprised to find that while the Roadmaster doors have no internal armrest supports, the Caprice does.

The pull straps are fine for opening and closing the door, but I'm a double amputee, and need a little more support entering and exiting. I picked up some 2 inch angle iron with the idea of cutting a section to bolt to the door panel.

But then I saw the Caprice armrest supports. Anybody every try putting a set on the Roadmaster doors?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?   Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 pm

I believe they are too "deep" to fit under the arm rest of the RM. The angle iron/steel would probably work better. Either way you are doing a custom install.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?   Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 2:58 pm

I was just looking for something lighter than the angle iron would be, plus the Caprice armrest supports have stiffening ribs stamped in. They could always be cut down and rewelded. I have a welder...but I also picked up a couple of S10 armrest supports which are only about 5 inches long. They bolt to the door with a couple of 10 mm bolts. Easy enough to install a couple of nutserts and see if they work. I always knew thus would be a custom deal, that doesn't faze me...my car is far from factory anyways with the amount of drywall screws I've found holding things together! There oughta be a law!!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?   Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 5:19 pm

It really is a sacrilege to attach parts with drywall screws.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?   Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 1:56 am

Picked up some sheet steel today to see about armrest supports. I'm going to have to bridge that gap where all the locking rods and window mechanisms reside, as it appears, the supports will have to go under the rear portion of the armrests, behind the window/seat/mirror panel.

I'll take pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?   Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Caprice armest supports on Roadmaster doors?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: