GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

under hood temps

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
goldwolfnhn

under hood temps Empty
PostSubject: under hood temps   under hood temps Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone here would know or would have the equipment to measure the ambient under hood temperatures for the LT1 equipped wagons, while at high speed, low speed in town, and sitting idle.

The reason I am wondering is I'm getting into 3d printing and want to know what kind of temps any printed parts would have to deal with, such as if I made a replacement filler for the hole left behind in the air intake duct from pulling the home plate off above the engine, and possibly even print covers to fit over the top of the engine.

I do now there are filaments I can print with that can handle up to 500 degrees but I'm hoping I won't have to go with those as they cost about 300 dollars for only .5 kg of filament.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

under hood temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: under hood temps   under hood temps Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 pm

More options than you can shake a stick at...It depends on if you want to just watch it or log/record it.

If you just want to watch it, there are many cheap options available if you have a multi meter to measure resistance and can do some math.

100k ohm NTC thermistors are cheap
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or a simple "Grill Thermometer" can give you two readings for $25 (this is what I would do...)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you want a logger or similar and don't mind spending $100-300 there are also several options
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - If you can do a little calculating with the NTC thermistors above this one is cheap at $59. Would be in it for <$100

Typically it will get hottest when you have been working it hard in the summer (pulling a trailer, driving 100MPH uphill with the A/C on, etc) and then shut it off and keep the hood closed, still air, etc. All the heat has nowhere to go and it gets really hot under there.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

under hood temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: under hood temps   under hood temps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 4:12 pm

got a scientific dual probe thermometer for 30 bucks next day delivery from amazon. and posting the results here incase anyone else ever needs them so they don't have to buy a thermometer just to use it once.

results are with car sitting idle in driveway leads for probes where too short to have them in place while driving but revving up the engine did cause temps to drop.

while running at idle max temp reached was about 165-170 degrees, between where home plate mounts in the air intake tube and the area that would be underneath homeplate.

after shutting off the car max temp reached was about 176 degrees for a very short time before it started to drop.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

under hood temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: under hood temps   under hood temps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Cool - Thanks for sharing the data.

Just to prove/disprove the theory - go flog it hard with the A/C on, shut it off hot as soon as you can and see what the temps do.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

under hood temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: under hood temps   under hood temps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 9:12 pm

no a/c in the car at the moment got the parts but with the fact that me and my parents are moving I don't have the time and my mechanic can't fit it in to his schedule until September 1st.

that's a sign of a good mechanic, their always busy and have customers willing to wait for them to do work, especially as there a chain repair shop, Auto Select, about two blocks away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

under hood temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: under hood temps   under hood temps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

under hood temps
Page 1 of 1