GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EGR intermittant code

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

EGR intermittant code  Empty
PostSubject: EGR intermittant code    EGR intermittant code  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 2:23 pm

91 OCC with 305 TBI. Car runs great. When cruising at sustained high speed (85+) will sometimes get a CEL code 32. It does not affect the running of the car and disappears when car is shut off and turned back on. I don't know if I should mess with the EGR valve and vacuum solenoid or just ignore it for the time being. Advice appreciated.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

EGR intermittant code  Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR intermittant code    EGR intermittant code  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 am

Since it is running great just ignore it. Many sane state inspection places ignore emission codes.
Some states you have to fix every code.

It probably needs a new EGR valve or the passages cleaned out. I had a 95 Saturn and it developed a sticky valve which would stick open and cause it to run rough, so I had to replace it.

We have a 98 Ford Contour with 2 EGR codes set, and the car runs great. To fix it myself could require almost hundred dollars in parts as there is the valve, the vacuum switch which detects vacuum going to the valve, and a separate EGR solenoid. And the intake passage could be clogged with carbon.  They could all be bad. I just ignore it because the car runs great. It also has catalyst insufficient errors on both sides (v6), about 9 emissions related codes. Just me fixing all that could cost almost $1000, and the car is not worth that effort. The cars only advantage to us is it has 89,999 miles on it. So very low mileage and still look at all the emissions codes it has. Ridiculous Ford engineering. It is old and the paint clear coat is going. So it drives very nicely, like a new car, but it look like a beater.
Back to top Go down

EGR intermittant code
Page 1 of 1