GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

O-Rings on distributor drive shaft

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Empty
PostSubject: O-Rings on distributor drive shaft   O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 6:11 am

Guys,
when I removed my distributor ( LT1 engine)  to check its condition along with the replacement of the water pump I found two O-Rings on its shaft, plugged into the front end of the camshaft. I  don´t know what they should seal, the camshaft has no oil inside and is sealed to the outside housing with a usual sealer ring. The O-Rings are hardened and brittled, I removed the debris, but don´t know at all what function they have. They aren´t available from Rockauto as spare, so I´ve to look after them over her in Germany. ID is about 10 mm. Could it be that they should only "stabilise" the distributor driveshaft inside the cam to prevent it from vibrating ? The distributor is in nice condition so I don´t need a new one what might have included new O-Rings on it. In the manual, nothing is refering to these O-Rings. Thanks for advice
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: O-Rings on distributor drive shaft   O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 11:00 am

They wouldn't be there if they weren't needed. They stabilize the shaft and cut down vibrations.

The GM part number is 10474278 but they are discontinued.

You need to get a timing cover gasket set from Fel Pro.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: O-Rings on distributor drive shaft   O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks, thats exactly what I supposed. Of course it´s necessary, but not for sealing. Supposedly nobody knows the dimensiones of the O-Rings to source them in Germany? I wouldn´t order them from USA to Germany, would be a bit strange, just 2 O-rings.....
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: O-Rings on distributor drive shaft   O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 6:20 am

In the USA, we have hardware stores that sell all different sizes of o'rings. Measure and match up something.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Post #15, says the felpro timing cover gasket kit has them in the package.
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: O-Rings on distributor drive shaft   O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 6:50 am

Hi, got some with the right size. Have it got fixed already, distributor back home again, thanks !

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O-Rings on distributor drive shaft   O-Rings on distributor drive shaft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O-Rings on distributor drive shaft
Page 1 of 1