GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowney717

New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor Empty
PostSubject: New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor   New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 7:01 am

I got this from RockAuto. It did not have the bolts, I had some I could use, don't know if those were left out of the box.

I JBwelded the short bolts to the motor frame simply to make it much easier to reattach. I can imagine how much of a pain it would be to have a wrench on those inside the door.

Whole thing slides in and out thru the right hand door opening.
Window has been very slow, these motors I think the OEM magnets get weak, I have had them apart and never see anything wrong on the inside, used to be copper windings used as the magnets, those motors lasted. Ford - Chrysler, motors dont seem to die like GM motors do with age.

The aluminum door rivets drill out easy, The steel motor rivet do not, they spin. I used my dremel and a carbide cutter bit to grind them down.

Easy enough to reassemble, I grabbed metal frame  edge with a vice grip, wound it tighter and slid the bolts in while holding long arm on ground with foot while it was sitting on scrap carpet. Wrapped wires with painters tape since they have to pass thru the inner door panel hole I think, so will help keep them from being cut by a sharp edge.

Of course grease the gears and the plastic window glides.
I used a small pry bar to pop the swing arm pivots off the plastic glides.
A vice grip or large pliers will pop them back on. I already had replaced one of the split sliders with the new Dorman white round one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tpU3upPUeiVM2avy7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y1quS5GaQe7qY5Nh6

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor   New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 5:47 pm

It is all together, and much better, but ran slow in the middle of the run, so I cleaned the track inside the door with hot water and a brush, then sprayed it with silicone. Then I ordered some of this dry teflon lubricant

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UTX0R8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The track was very dirty. The rubber feels in good soft condition,  there was a buildup of scruddy stuff, I could scrape off the track with my fingernail, maybe a black fungus. Scrubbed best I could with hot water.

And the lower track bolts, I adjusted them inwards to better hold the glass.

Another issue is the door switches are not great. They work, but takes a lot of pressure. Maybe they can be cleaned?

Both rear switches want to pop out. But work better than the passenger front switch.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor   New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 am

Pics of the track with new round glides Dorman 7444

They can only be put in when the old ones are removed. I had to melt them out with a soldering gun.
Then the track has to be bent open, I used a vice grip.
And then they can slid past the low rivet head with a hammer and screwdriver.

I had to use a small clamp on one and a plier on the other to squeeze the arm pivot into the glider.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jvygh7fXwtYX2uCs7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xx8VQUN9Njv8kRgU7

Both of the old OEM rectangular glides were partially cracked. GM sure made it a pain to repair, rivets and closing the end down.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor   New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am

""Both of the old OEM rectangular glides were partially cracked.""

A lot of common failures are written off as "design defects". In this particular case, its true. The round guides worked too well, so they were changed to the rectangular ones in production.

The problem was, the factory applied lubricant that worked on the round guides attacked the new rectangular sliders and caused them to become brittle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor   New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dorman 742-102 front right window motor
Page 1 of 1