GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bilwit

Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Empty
PostSubject: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am

Hi all. Can anyone help me source tailgate vinyl for '96 RMW. Is it available form any source? Thanks for any help. Mine has cracked and split. Looks stretched around license plate indent so not sure it's original. There are not cuts or chips in in anywhere so I suspect it might have been replaced at some time. Thanks for any direction. I am new to this so appreciate guidance from experienced owners. Thanks and Regards.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 10:06 am

Your talking about the woodgrain ? Stripeman.com makes complete kits to replace the woodgrain trim . Another option would be to go to a local that does car wraps and see if they can match what you have .

Bilwit and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down
Bilwit

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Thanks. I checked them out and found what I was looking for. Appreciate the guidance.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 8:47 am

Stripeman is nice stuff, a bit spendy but very close to the original. My wife redid all the woodgrain on her car with their kit.
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks. I looked and they have the piece for the tailgate that I need for about $120 so that's not too bad. The entire set is much more expensive but I don't need that. Your wife must be quite handy!

rcktpwrd and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Yes she like to work on her stuff, not usually the heavy mechanical but most anything else... she's not afraid to get dirty! Cool
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 am

Good for you!
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 2:26 pm

I received the samples for the vinyl from Stripeman. None seem to match well unfortunately though they look like nice product. They are much shinier as well, and my vinyl is really a matt finish. I presume it's original but am not sure. There are no nicks or scratches on the body sides so it's possible that it was replaced at some time, though possibly when original was still available. Can anyone comment on the sheen of the vinyl on their cars? Is it matt like mine.
I may have to pick the closest and work with that for the tailgate as that's all I need. Mine cracked around the license plate indent as though it shrunk or was not stretched to fit the indent. Perhaps it was not original. Anyone else have any guidance about this. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 3:42 pm

I think the vinyl is supposed to be semi gloss to glossy finish. I think it looses the gloss as it ages and becomes more matte especially if it has not had any protective products applied.

this is the original vinyl and quite dull and faded:
Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW 5oCN8u8l

this is my wife's car after she installed new vinyl:
Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW ZA3Jactl

Stripeman recommended she use 303 protectant

The Stripeman tailgate vinyl is one piece and using heat you form it into the license plate area. The factory used two pieces, one in the indent and then the large piece over the rest of the gate.

ayilar and MackRX like this post

Back to top Go down
Bilwit

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Looks very nice. And thanks for the info. The original faded one looks like mine. Which color did she use? Light Burma? That looks closest to mine. Tell her she did a fine job!
I only have one piece on the tailgate so perhaps its not original. I can't believe it wouldn't have a nick or two on it which is does not. But it is dull and likely faded and the tailgate section split. I will try the tailgate as it may not look too different on a separate side. Don't want to spend the money for a full kit at this stage. My wife doesn't want me to spend any money on this car as it was not her desired car. I had to talk her into it and as the previous owner had put in an Alpine with bluetooth, she reluctantly agreed. Thanks again, Bill
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks!

Not sure what color she got, what ever is closest to factory... might be the Burma.
Back to top Go down
redhawk05

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 pm

That is really clean. Looking great!

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2021 9:43 am

Very useful info, thank you all. Looking for recommendations on refinishing the woodgrain on a RMW.

The main area is in good condition (it only has a couple of dime-size nicks, with which I can live), but the moulding woodgrain is peeling off in places and need replaced.

I am thinking of going with the Stripeman molding cover-up vinyl:

https://www.stripeman.com/trim-molding-cover-up-woodgrain-vinyl-stripe-panel/

Two questions:

1. how close is the vinyl it to the original material? (I have ordered a sample kit, but would like to hear opinions from folks who actually have used the product)
2. should I bite the bullet and redo the whole vinyl (not just the moldings) -- kinda "do it right and do it once"?

We are talking $179 for the moulding wood vs. $900 for the whole kit, so the price difference is not small.

https://www.stripeman.com/91-96-buick-roadmaster-wagon-burma-teak-digital-reproduction-woodgrain-replacement-kit/

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW   Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Vinyl for '96 RMW
Page 1 of 1