GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Catback questions

Go down 
+4
Rev Bob
sherlock9c1
Fred Kiehl
Sherlock128
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 8:31 am

I know this has probably been asked a million times and I checked the sticky but that's like 13 years old and almost all the links are dead. I got a set of Cia headers so naturally I need to upgrade the rest of the exhaust to 2.5

I really would like to keep it stock quiet or as quiet as possible. what would be the best set up to use?

I've checked around and I saw that a few people are suggesting that jegs impala set up I know its going to require some modification for the ota

Or should I just piece one together?

I was also planning on adding cut outs

(96 RMW btw)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 3:56 pm

The difference can be patched in. It should only require about an inch on each side after it goes over the axle.

As far as cutouts, they are going to be in front of the muffler, so there is no affect on the OTA area of the pipes.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 pm

Should I do mufflers and resonators or are there mufflers that I can use by themselves that will make it stock quiet or close to it?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 5:47 pm

I do not know which mufflers, or resonators make it sound stock. The sound is made by a combination of the muffler and resonator.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Yes, you will need resonators, otherwise the length of the pipes from the mufflers back will cause drone.

Honestly if you buy the Clear Image catalytic converters, they will bolt into a stock system for now. The stock intermediate pipes are 2.25" and the Over-the-axle pipes are 1.75" The stock mufflers are the biggest restriction; if you can find an exhaust shop that will replace them with 2.25" mufflers and work to make the transition down to 1.75" pipes aerodynamically smooth, that would be your cheapest and best option until you buy a 2.5" catback. Or, buy a Pypes X pipe and mufflers and have the shop retain the stock OTAs/tailpipes.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2021 7:36 am

Do to the low engine RPM our cars have even at highway speeds, resonators are needed to achieve stock quietness.
Back to top Go down
Guy Newport

Guy Newport

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 2:20 pm

I'm not sure how my experience might fit into this discussion about exhaust but eliminating the muffler on my '93 Caprice Wagon's stock, over the axle system (while retaining the final resonator and stock cat and stock engine) produced a nice, low tone to the exhaust. I did this on my previous '89 with similar results. My hearing's not that sharp but if there was a drone at highway speed I might have noticed but I'm sure somebody else certainly would have....
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 3:36 pm

Now that the Dynomax pipes are out of production for good we don't have many options for a catback. JEGS has a kit that can be modified to work on our cars.

Mufflers are a big restriction but the inlet pipes aren't much better. One of them is smashed flat for as long distance. Factory exhaust is the first thing I throw away on any new B Body in my garage.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 6:13 am

I actually have the clear image cats also

If I got an x pipe what else would I need? I know I would need mufflers and and resonators and ota pipes any thing else?

What mufflers and resonators would you suggest to make it as quiet as possible? I've seen a lot of people trashing flowmaster but they don't offer a better option

I'm not too worried about the mufflers being restrictive as I'd be adding cutouts
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 am

Doesn't get much quieter than the basic "Turbo" style muffler available off the shelf at any parts store. I had the Thrush ones on my car for a bit and they are almost unnoticeable.

You pretty much covered the needs list. Only other part would be the tips after the resonators and that all depends upon how you want the pipes to exit.

I ever go back to tails my tips will be out of sight. i was into the big chrome tips 20 years ago but not today.

Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 11:32 am

Now I actually have the 2.5 pypes universal xpipe will that work or do I need that other one the "Pypes Performance Exhaust XGI10 - Pypes Off-Road X-Pipes" one?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 8:47 pm

I have no clue when it comes to the X Pipe because I've never used one.
Back to top Go down
booster

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm

Are the X pipes on these kits and such flanged so you can drop the pipes independently to get them out of the way when needed. I have never used an X pipe but have built a couple of H pipe setups and always put a flange in the middle of the connecting tube.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2021 4:09 pm

the one thing i did and love is i had shop weld on 3 bolt collector flange at the exit of the muffler where the tail pipes meet the muffler. its great when u are working on the trans ordrive shaft, anything that the exhaust is in the way. i just unbolt the headers at collectors and then the tails and i can have access to everything. they did not charge me a lot to do that.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

Catback questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catback questions   Catback questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catback questions
Page 1 of 1