GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Antenna disable

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dwardo

Antenna disable Empty
PostSubject: Antenna disable   Antenna disable Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 10:14 pm

If I put my antenna in the "up" position and then pull the relay, will it remain in the "up" position or will it return to the "down" position? I think the relay is in the fuse box on the side of the dashboard. Mine works perfectly but over the life of the car it must have done many thousands of cycles and I have no desire to replace it so I'd like to extend its life. I'm either going to have an AUX jack put in my radio or more likely, upgrade to a new stereo with all the modern stuff, so I won't need the antenna much. I plan to put a switch under the dash (which actually leads to the same question) so I can operate it manually.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Antenna disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna disable   Antenna disable Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 pm

Yes, it will stay in whatever position it's in when you pull the relay.

Schematic below...

Antenna disable 1996-roadmaster-wagon-power-antenna-circuit
Back to top Go down
dwardo

Antenna disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna disable   Antenna disable Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 11:39 pm

Awesome! Just what I needed to know. I'll put it up and leave it up until I get around to wiring a switch in. I think it's a real cool feature but should only be activated for show and tell. I never take it through violent car washes anymore so it can stay up.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Antenna disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna disable   Antenna disable Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 11:49 pm

Just pop open the hood and disconnect the antenna itself. Plug should be over by the fuse box.

I tossed mine into the trash long ago and will be filling the hole in the fender. I have no use for free radio with their endless commercials, DJs that never shut up and the same tiny set list of songs.

Spotify and a bluetooth capable radio are all I need.

silverfox103 and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Antenna disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna disable   Antenna disable Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 7:49 am

I did exactly as Woody said. I disconnected it in the down position years ago. There's no need for it to be up with XM radio.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna disable   Antenna disable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna disable
Page 1 of 1