GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Matching front & rear tires

Go down 
+4
theblurrrr
Fred Kiehl
94Woody
Don in MO
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Don in MO

Don in MO

Matching front & rear tires Empty
PostSubject: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Matching front & rear tires B3dcaa10
Matching front & rear tires F05c2910
Matching front & rear tires 4dc2ea10

1995 Buick with tow package. 225/75R15 on front, 275/60R15 on the back

What size do I need on the front to match the height of the rear? Or make the front a tad lower than the rear? The tires are all shot and need to be replaced. Want to keep the rear the same size but match the front to them.

Also what brands does anyone suggest? Was thinking Cooper GT’s but they don’t look to perform very well. Look nice but that’s about it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2022 10:20 pm

When I bought my wagon it had a 275/60 and 255/60 combo on it. That is a 28/27 inch combo. Since my car is lowered I wanted it to set level and have shorter tires so it has 255/60s on all 4 corners. I run Cooper Cobra tires.

Matching front & rear tires Xchteqp

Matching front & rear tires Q38mzOh

Use this page to check out the sizes of various tires.

https://tiresize.com/height-chart/

Don in MO likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 7:48 am

You need tires of the same diameter for the antilock brakes to work. If they vary too much from front to rear, the antilock does not understand the input, and will throw a code, and not work.

Don in MO and Serendipity96 like this post

Back to top Go down
Don in MO

Don in MO

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 7:59 am

Matching front & rear tires F7170c10

According to this chart I need a 235/70R15 to equate the exact tire diameter to 28 inches. Anti-lock brakes will work correctly and the car will set level unless there are suspension issues?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 8:09 am

The 255-65 is only 0.1 inches larger, and is acceptable.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 1:01 pm

As usual let me add. That tire combo caused me a total of zero problems with the ABS.

The system on these cars is beyond ancient and barely worked new. I threw mine in the trash years ago so there is no issue.

Don in MO likes this post

Back to top Go down
theblurrrr

theblurrrr

PostSubject: Reading P-metric tire sizes   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 5:56 am

A P-metric tire size like 275/60 means that the tire tread is 275 mm wide and the sidewall height is 60% of that.

So 275/60 is 275 mm x 60% or 275/.60= 165 mm (sidewall height in rear)

225/.75= 168.75 mm (sidewall height in front)

168.75-165=3.75 mm

3.75x2 for the sidewall height top and bottom of the wheel = 7.5 mm taller (0.3")

Substitute other sizes that will fit in front without interference.

225/70= 157.5 mm will give you a 0.6" shorter tire in front

215/75= 161.25 mm will give you a 0.3" shorter tire in front

This assumes wheel diameter is the same front and rear.
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 4:43 pm

I am using cooper cobras P235/70R15's all the way around. The factory load leveling picks the back end up just right.Matching front & rear tires 20200917

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
theblurrrr

theblurrrr

PostSubject: Tire recommendations   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 5:33 pm

For what it's worth, I've been using Hankook Optimo H724 tires in a 225/75-15 size on my stock rims. I wanted the whitewalls and they have been a very good tire for me. They also make raised white letter tires. A 235/75 size will work. After that, it's a matter of personal taste.
I have seen Toyo's tires get worse in quality in recent years; I've seen structural failures of Cooper tires.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 1:57 am

Well, that explains why my ABS light is lit up...I put a set of 235/75/15s on the back of my RMW, and I've got 225/60/15's on the front. Hey, they were free, and had great tread.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am

when i had my 1996 rmw (open end) I was buying tires from costco so there's not much choice in brands. First set i had the BF goodrich LT T/As on the stock rims/ stock size. They were decent on dry but when new they were easy to spin in the rain/wet pavement - not sure if posi would've made a difference.
Last set I splurged on Michelins - can't recall the specific model anymore. For the first 10K miles or so they wouldn't break lose even on wet, then they would. But they felt very good - esp in hard fast cornering. Again, stock size on original rims.
susp was HD monroe ss shocks in front and bilsteins in rear - which were still holding up well past 50K and often carrying heavy loads.

My current 93 wagon came with fresh tires - Dextero brand. I'd never heard of this brand before, found walmart carries them. Seems like a lot of people like them for some reason. Even with all new suspension (thank you Fred K!) these tires feel like they have soft/weak sidewalls by comparison and I don't feel confident on their cornering/handling.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 pm

94Woody wrote:
As usual let me add.  That tire combo caused me a total of zero problems with the ABS.

The system on these cars is beyond ancient and barely worked new. I threw mine in the trash years ago so there is no issue.

Any easy way to get rid of the abs light? Besides sticking a Harley Davidson sticker over it, which is currently what mine is doing lol. Can I pull the cluster and take the bulb.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 10:51 pm

1991BlueBertha wrote:
94Woody wrote:
As usual let me add.  That tire combo caused me a total of zero problems with the ABS.

Any easy way to get rid of the abs light? Besides sticking a Harley Davidson sticker over it, which is currently what mine is doing lol.   Can I pull the cluster and take the bulb.

There are two ways to stop the ABS bulb from lighting; remove the bulb, and fix the ABS.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 11:02 pm

Lol. I think removing the bulb on a 30 year old vehicle would be easier. I may get it scanned and see what code it’s presenting. If it’s not something simple , bulb time it is
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matching front & rear tires   Matching front & rear tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matching front & rear tires
Page 1 of 1