GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What shocks?

Go down 
+3
rcktpwrd
booster
EastonTexas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
EastonTexas

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 8:03 pm

Kyb gas-a-just shocks any good?
Back to top Go down
booster

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 8:43 pm

KYB would be my second choice for the wagons with only Bilstein ahead of them. KYB wins in performance per dollar though

I have had both in my 96 RMW with KYB for the first 5 years and the Bilstein since for 5 years.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 pm

I put the KYB's in the front of the wife's wagon when I rebuilt the suspension a couple months ago. I still have to put the rears in. Ride is slightly more firm, defiantly not harsh.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
theamcguy

theamcguy

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 8:43 am

What shocks available now are closest to stock?
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 12:36 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
I put the KYB's in the front of the wife's wagon when I rebuilt the suspension a couple months ago. I still have to put the rears in. Ride is slightly more firm, defiantly not harsh.

I agonized over the front shocks choice earlier this year for my 1996 FWB with V4P towing package. I hesitated between AC Delco HD, Bilstein, and KYB. In the end, I installed KYB Gas-a-Just KG4515 front shocks in April of this year (I also replaced the upper ball joints and some bushings at the same time).

The KG4515s are definitely not harsh. After about 4k miles on them, I think that they are a good compromise for highway driving (at a good clip, the car is well planted and tracks like a train as it should), but are a bit too soft in town to my liking (at very low speed -- for example at the end of a steep garage ramp, etc.).

There are several threads on the Impala SS Forum, and two members of the GMLRF helped me too. I posted a summary here:

https://www.impalassforum.com/threads/bilstein-1516-1517-updated-part-numbers.1317778/#post-12146959

rcktpwrd and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 5:32 am

I've used Monroe severe service for the front on several wagons and have been very happy with them. The ride is more firm than stock (especially 25-yr-old-stock), but not harsh at all.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2022 5:47 pm

KYB Gas A Just have a new set I'll be putting on the front this spring ( car has air shocks in the rear) . I've had these on a few of my vehicles and always had good luck with them and they make for a nice ride .
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2023 10:12 am

I have acquired a 1996 RMW with V92 package. The front shocks need replaced (the rears are at most 2 years old and fine).

For my 1996 FWB with V4P trailer-towing package, I decided to go with the KYB KG4515 as my replacement front shocks. About 6k miles later, I like the KYBs but am not 100% satisfied. They are great on the highway (good damping and comfortable), and that is I spend 90% of my time -- but they are a bit too soft at low speeds.

I have decided to try the ACDelco 5309 for the Buick. I chose that model after being told that, for my V4P Caddy, the "OEM ride quality would be AC Delco Premium 88945177" (i.e., the 530-9).

They will be installed this week, I will report after I put a few hundred miles on them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What shocks?   What shocks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What shocks?
Page 1 of 1