GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

passkey module failure

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
goldwolfnhn

passkey module failure Empty
PostSubject: passkey module failure   passkey module failure Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 8:23 pm

took my 94 RMW out for a drive today and the passkey light was on on the dash the whole time, stopped to take care of some business and when I restarted the car the passkey light was still on, so I know it remaining on is supposed to mean the module has failed but is there a possibility of it somehow leaving me high and dry if I leave the module alone, or would I be better and safer off replacing or trying to bypass the module.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: passkey module failure   passkey module failure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 8:23 am

The bypass is easy, I've done it on 4 different GM cars (3 wagons and a 96 Camaro).

That said, there is apparently more than just putting in a resistor as my current wagon will still occasionally do it even with the resistor (it is smack in the middle of the range too) in place. For me I used the connector this time and all previous ones, I wired it in directly. I think that's my issue, as it most recently did it when it was very cold here, and after the 2nd time I wiggle the connector and then it was fine again (a month later so far)....
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: passkey module failure   passkey module failure Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2023 9:25 pm

well this is weird, I took the car out this morning for an appointment and the passkey light stayed on, but after my appointment when I started the car the passkey light was off.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: passkey module failure   passkey module failure Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2023 2:07 pm

Intermittent fault. Most likely a dirty key or key cylinder.

When the light comes on AFTER the car is running it's because the system found a fault but knows the car was started with the correct key. That allows you to keep using the vehicle without issue. The fault went inactive and the system reset. It will most likely come back again. Not a big deal when it happens after starting. It's when it pops up after you shut it off that the fun begins.

Failure prone and useless system (car thieves know how to bypass it) that should be one of the first things removed from any wagon that one buys. Install a useful kill switch in place of it.

One of these days I'm going to build a delete kit for this thing.
Back to top Go down
billmorrow

PostSubject: Re: passkey module failure   passkey module failure Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2024 12:53 am

and a year later what can be done to remove the passkey 'module"..?

thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.forum.thinkpads.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: passkey module failure   passkey module failure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

passkey module failure
Page 1 of 1