GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!

Go down 
+4
81X11
Sprocket
toomanytoyz
ChevyChugg
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ChevyChugg

September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Empty
PostSubject: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Well, despite not currently being in possession of Longroof, I have been nominated for the honor of September Longroof of the Month. So I will tell the story of my B-Body addiction including longroof’s and the roofs of a shorter (but not short) persuasion.

It all began when I was about 7. My parents had two Caprices, and 82 and an 83. They were beautiful cars, the 82 a silver one with blue cloth and power everything, and the 83 Charcoal grey with grey guts and manual windows. I loved these cars as long as I could remember, and I had always been surrounded by them. My maternal grandfather bought at new one almost every year. A Black 85, a tan 86 Brougham, a burgundy 87 Brougham and so on.

One night my parents let me watch National Lampoon’s Vacation, and when the part where they trade in the Vista Cruiser, and it gets crushed came on, I became very upset, thinking that someday, they would take our caprice away and do the same. And then it happened. We arrived at the Nissan Dealership in the 82, and somehow, we ended up leaving in a Sentra Mini-Minivan. I was heartbroken. Eventually, the 83 was replaced as well, and although I was unhappy then too, I got over it.

Fast forward to when I was 10. I heard talk that my grandfather had gotten a new car. Although it was another Caprice, this one was different. I heard phrases like “upside down bathtub,” and “bulbous monstrosity.” I was quite flustered, not only had my parents taken away my beloved caprices, but now GM had done the same thing—permanently!

However, when we arrived in Vermont, all my frustration melted away. It was the most wonderful, shining, glowing example of automotive beauty I had ever seen. A burgundy 91, with red cloth, power everything, blindingly brilliant alloys and medium whitewalls. This was the last car my grandfather owned, and for the four years he owned it before he died, we drove all over New England in it together. It was the first car I ever drove (on a back road at 14,) and he always told me it would be mine when it was his time to go.

After Grampy passed away, my uncle Marvin, as executor of the estate, had other plans. His plans did not include doing anything with a 4 year old American Car (with 55,000 miles) other than selling it (for $600.) As far as Marvin was concerned, if it wasn’t a Toyota, it might as well have been scrap. After having been Jewed out (I can say that, we are Jewish,) of my birthright, I was mightily pissed off. I vowed that someday I would own a caprice of my own.

As it turned out, this would happen about six years later in 2001. I was cruising the local Buick Dealership checking things out, when there it was. A 1992 Chevy Caprice Base Model. It was Charcoal over Silver, with 42,000 miles. I had to have it. I traded in my 92 Lesabre, and drove home in the nicest car I had ever owned. It purred like a kitten and floated like a boat. Alas, it was not meant to be. A few months later, it began to shake and buck on the highway. The plugs were fouled, the rings were shot, and the engine needed to be replaced. Although out of warranty, the dealership offered to rebuild the engine for $500, or to trade it back for what I paid. My wife convinced me that she needed a Grand Prix more than I needed a caprice, and that was the end of that.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  IMAGE013
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  IMAGE014
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  IMAGE015

Next came a 1984 Caprice Classic, Two Tone Brown, Brown Cloth, no options. We called it the poo-mobile due to it's lovely colors. Developed a lot of rust very quickly and needed to ditch it. No one bothered taking any pics of this.

Then, in 2004, I decided that my student loan check would buy me a caprice and I would keep it for all time. I got about 2 years out of it, and then sold it out of boredom. This was when I really found the B-Body Scene, and started to learn about the platform. When I bought this car, I didn't even know what an LT1 was and I thought the only differences between 91-92 and 93+ were the skirts. 1991 Caprice Classic, 146K Miles-172K Miles. Silver over Charcoal, Blue Leather.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  000_0005
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  000_0002
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  000_0004
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Smoothiecaps004

In Late 2006, I thought that I had done everything I wanted to this car, and I wanted an LT1. It seemed that the cheapest way to this end (at the time,) was in a wagon. So in October of 06, I met a man named Fred, and a wagon with 309,000 Carfax Certified miles. My first wagon (and LT1,) was a 1995 Chevy Caprice Classic, Medium Marblehead Metallic, Grey Cloth, no air and lots of rust and dents. It was a great car, but by January of 2008 the paint that I had applied to it was flaking off, and I was able to sell it without losing anything.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  000_0068
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  000_0066
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  000_0064
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  100_0116
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  100_0280
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Wagon3
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  100_0334
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  100_2224

Next I decided I wanted something a little nicer, with a few more options, and by then the novelty of the LT1 had worn off, so I picked up a 92 RMW, White Woody, Red Leather, 153K nice car, but got a nice profitable offer and had to let it go. Did have big plans for it, money talks.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  102_0429
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  102_0428
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  102_0426
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  92RMWPlans

Following the sale of the RMW, I picked up a 95 Caprice from an ISSF member. This car was rather unmemorable. 169K, White with Blue Coth. I did get some Wide Whites though.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  104_0441
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  HPIM0432

In Summer of 2008 I was able to trade the white wagon straight up for a 1994 RMS. LAB (My favorite Color,) Blue Leather Limited interior. 158K. 3 inch drop, kept my wide whites. This was probably the nicest car I have ever had. However, the car gods bestowed upon me a serious case of wagon fever, and I sold it in March of 2009.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  HPIM0463
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  HPIM0462
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  HPIM0459
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  108_0448
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  108_0450
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  RMSNov1

In May of 2009, I purchased a 96 black dewooded RMW. Tan Cloth, 114K miles. For whatever reason, I just did not like this car. didn't drive right, didn't shift right, didn't run right, didn't look right. I sold it for a negligible loss.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  HPIM0706
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  HPIM0708

There was a 96 LAB WB4, but it was a bad experience and I don't want to get into it.

My current and final B-Body is a 1991 Caprice Classic. Right back where I started. 79K one owner miles. Silver with Grey Cloth. I am enjoying this car very much, and I do not forsee selling it any time soon.
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  91-4
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  91-3
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Odo
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Image033
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Image027
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Woahh005
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Nosepierced021
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Caprice006
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Caprice007
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Caprice005

So that is it. The whole story. I did the wagon thing for a long time. I would like to get another wagon someday, but not at the expense of my sedan. If I have my choice, it will be a 1994 RMW, LAB with wood and a blue leather interior. Otherwise, I'm staying out of that game for now. Thanks for letting me hang around even if I have a short roof, and thanks for reading.

Last edited by ChevyChugg on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Wow... Glad I packed a lunch. Smile

Nice history, Dave. And don't worry, Marv will get his... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Smile Cool. Your car inspired me to paint my grille...

But then I got a newer grille with the embossed letters and blacked the whole thing out, and then did the letters in red.

Actually you turned me onto those primewell tires too. I have a tire shop holding a set over for me until I get my refund check.

Awesome story. Smile Sucks about losing your grandfather's car.... I kinda got screwed in the same way. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:07 pm

And I though I was a b-body slut.... Smile Nice write up Dave.

I recall your trade for the the LAB RMS, I was interested in that car myself , lol. Still would like a sedan one day but the wagons keep finding me.....

Thanks for sharing the history, of your ,ahem, hobby Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 pm

No, Sprocket, I think you qualify, my friend.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:13 am

Great pics! Man you trade cars more than I do!

Good luck with the current project and all the future ones too!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:29 am

I liked the flamed (those are flames, aren't they Question Razz ) wagon - and that LAB sedan. LAB is actually one of my least favorite B-body colors, but on that car it just WORKED.

Why no pics of your custom headrests dude - that was my favorite part of your first car! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:33 am

just vinyl...you happy now, John?
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  9a1ce255
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:34 am

Here's another fun thing I did with the first 91...
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Da6cb62b
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  35c53732
September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  749b46bf
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:39 am

oy gevalt Marvin! what a yutz,...

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:48 pm

Faux-duals made me LOL. Like, there goes my milk I was drinking...
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Nice story Dave! Was glad to meet you a few years ago and see that Caprice wagon of yours. It was a cool ride Wink

I didn't know you did those fake duals....goodness!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Hahaha! Love the duals! -Mike
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 pm

If it can't be done with Flexpipe and zipties, then you don't need it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Your sedan looks great, bravo man Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 am

You forgot the Duck Tape. You can fix anything with it. ; )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!    September LROM (SROM)  Better Late than Never!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

September LROM (SROM) Better Late than Never!
Page 1 of 1