GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1992 OCC Cassette Problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nh18402

1992 OCC Cassette Problems Empty
PostSubject: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 8:02 pm

Hey everyone,
I have recently picked up a 1992 Custom Cruiser. It has the AM/FM/cassette/equalizer radio, and I recently tested out the tape deck. It plays fine for about 20 seconds, and then the audio descends into a warbly mess. Occasionally taking the tape out and putting it back in will fix the issue, but only for another few seconds. No buttons change the sound back to normal. Curious if anyone has dealt with this issue before and may have advice on what is causing it. I’d like to use a Bluetooth cassette and am currently not interested in installing an aftermarket unit. My two front speakers are also dead, if anyone has any advice on that.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 8:57 pm

It could need a thorough cleaning

Wojtek and WhiteBird like this post

Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 12:50 am

I agree, clean the head and capstan with Q-tips and alcohol and see what happens. The bluetooth adapter should work, no moving parts/tape to warble, still good
to have a clean head to send the audio signal to I would think. The speakers are a matter of basic troubleshooting, if all the wiring and the speakers are good it could be internal like the balance/fader switch. You sure it isn't adjusted to the rear? You never know. I sent mine out and had it serviced and a micro USB cable added and just plug my phone in. I could probably plug a bluetooth adapter into that but the wire works. I liked 8-tracks, you could play two songs at once when the head went out of adjustment a little.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 4:37 pm

one problem that happens with turntables and tape decks (vcrs etc) and any other stereo equipment with rubber rollers or 'rubber bands' aka drive belts after decades is they can get stretched out or brittle or in the case of the rollers, they can harden. When that happens the only fix is to restore it by replacing all the rubber bits.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
nh18402

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 7:43 am

AMH_92 wrote:
I agree, clean the head and capstan with Q-tips and alcohol and see what happens. The bluetooth adapter should work, no moving parts/tape to warble, still good
to have a clean head to send the audio signal to I would think.  The speakers are a matter of basic troubleshooting, if all the wiring and the speakers are good it could be internal like the balance/fader switch. You sure it isn't adjusted to the rear? You never know.  I sent mine out and had it serviced and a micro USB cable added and just plug my phone in. I could probably plug a bluetooth adapter into that but the wire works. I liked 8-tracks, you could play two songs at once when the head went out of adjustment a little.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’ll probably just leave the speakers as they are as the audio is decent enough coming from just the rear. At least until I’m comfortable enough with the interior plastics to pull the door panels off. How much did it cost for you to have a USB installed? Ideally I’d do that but have Bluetooth installed.
Back to top Go down
WhiteBird

WhiteBird

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2023 8:56 am

I have a 94 RMW that has an OEM radio/cassette deck in it that works just find. But! it would be nice if it has a USB input in it. Where did you send it to have the input installed/internal works serviced? Thankx
Mr. OCC, I believe you probably have the same unit that in have in my 94 RMW. Check the balance/fade knob as mentioned above. albino
Back to top Go down
nh18402

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2023 6:50 pm

The fade was my first thought too but unfortunately when it’s adjusted all the way to the front, there’s no audio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1992 OCC Cassette Problems   1992 OCC Cassette Problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1992 OCC Cassette Problems
Page 1 of 1