GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Time for School

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
zonaman

zonaman

Time for School  Empty
PostSubject: Time for School    Time for School  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 pm

Hi there.  My current ride is a 1969 Chevy C-10 pickup restomod.  Why sign up on this forum? I used to own a '91 Caprice Classic wagon.  I'm thinking about selling the pickup for something a little lower and a little safer. I haul a boat and trailer that  weight out at about 2,000 lbs. So if anyone can direct me to any primers that have been posted I'd appreciate it.  From what I've learned so far I think the "holy grail" for me might just be a '96 Roadmaster wagon with an LT1 and a tow package. My trailer isn't too heavy but I run it up and down the mountains to get our desert lakes around central Arizona in triple digit temps in the summer. What say you?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Time for School  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for School    Time for School  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 10:12 am

Welcome. I had a 69 and a 70 K-5 Blazer (wish I still had one!) so I'm pretty familiar with your truck.

2000 lbs you really don't even need the towing pkg, but it is preferable. On the 94-96 the tow pack is easily identified by a mechanical fan vs. 2 electric (some people do swap them, so you would have to check for the RPO code and rear gears as the tow pkg is a 2.93 vs. the stock 2.56.

Any 1991 will have a 305 as the 350 was not available except in police cars.
In 92-93 the 350 was standard in Buicks, and optional in Chevy and Olds (92 only).

TBI 305 - 170 hp and ?? ft lbs
TBI 350 - 180 hp and 300 ft lbs Torque
LT1 - 262 hp and 330 ft lbs.

TBI is harder to tell if tow pack if you don't have the RPO codes. Tow pack had 3.23 vs. 2.73 gears.

Posi was optional on all cars and tow pack does not guarantee it's there. I have NEVER seen a non-towpack car with posi but I'm sure it could have been ordered that way.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Time for School  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for School    Time for School  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 am

oh and good luck finding a hitch, KDS sells a kit you can have welded up, and somewhere buried on this site are plans for one to make your one. No one sells a new one. Class 2 are easier to find and plenty for 2000#
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Time for School  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for School    Time for School  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 3:42 pm

I never knew that the mechanicical fan indicates tow package.  My 91 had the tow package. I liked the positive traction on the slick boat ramps and the tranny cooler was a must climbing up the mountains at 110.  It had self leveling shocks too. Was that part of the tow package?  I thought the 305 was just a bit enemic on the hills too.
I've got a good hitch guy locally. Just need a 5-way flat to operate the surge brakes properly.  Does LT1 come with port injection or tbi?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time for School  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for School    Time for School  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for School
Page 1 of 1